Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building impactful platforms through elegant software design.
The Data Architecture team seeks a highly experienced software engineer to help drive architectural strategy & platform development as we build out a broad new data initiative for DigitalOcean. Reporting to the Data Architecture Engineering Manager, you will be hands on in helping guide the direction of how we build & implement the overall data platform at DigitalOcean, including the data tech stack & construction of ingress & egress APIs. You will have a leading role in the technical path forward, helping the whole company reach the next level of data maturity.
This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC & Cambridge, MA, according to candidate preference.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Build the APIs & Infrastructure that power the flow of data at DO
- Partner with Engineering & Security teams to drive comprehensive governance at scale
- Ensuring that our platform & associated services meet internal reliability SLAs through proper observability design
- Collaborating with an agile, self-motivated team of peers
- Consuming from & contributing to free/open source software communities
- Solve interesting problems at cloud-scale in a technically rewarding environment by:
- Developing, testing, & shipping well-engineered code in Rust, Golang, Scala, & Python
- Working with data streaming architectures & technology (Kafka, Spark), as well as building data pipeline workflows (Airflow)
- Building a large-scale data lake & warehouse solution with technologies including HDFS, Presto, Hive
- Contributing meaningfully to discussions on architectures, implementations, design patterns, & processes with the ability to succinctly convey ideas to peers & mentees
What Well Expect From You:
- You have experience consuming and/or interacting with a variety of data stores such as relational databases, key-value stores, timeseries, full-text search engine, & message queues
- You have experience working with orchestration systems, such as Mesos/K8s
- You have experience troubleshooting production systems, both software & hardware
- You have experience with distributed data systems & tenets of software observability, including familiarity with HTTP/RPC servers, load balancing, & modern security best practices
- You have experience formally mentoring & fostering growth of other engineers
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!