At Lyft, community is what we are & its what we do. Its what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.From day one, Lyfts mission has been to improve peoples lives with the worlds besttransportation. And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, & traffic a thing of the past. Thats why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where were building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers & creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ride sharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds & areas of expertise, & each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software & hardware experts work in brand new garages & labs in Palo Alto, California, & offices in London, England & Munich, Germany. And were moving at an incredible pace: were currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more atlyft.com/level5.
As an engineering manager (EM) & part of the Autonomous Vehicle Software org, you will be responsible for managing & growing the Simulation Engine team. This teams mission is to develop various types of simulators for the development, validation & evaluation of the autonomous vehicle software.For this position, we are looking for an EM with hands-on software engineering experience & deep technical expertise in one or more of these fields: game engine development, high-performance system software, robotics.
- Manage & grow the Simulation Engine team. Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, & respectful of each other
- Lead execution of team deliverables, organize team sprint meetings, & work with the team to achieve its OKRs
- Support setting the short-, mid- & long-term technical roadmap for the team in collaboration with the technical leads & the leadership team
- Foster a healthy & collaborative team culture & be a role model by demonstrating Lyfts core values
- Mentor & guide the professional & technical development of your team members Help develop their careers & assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, & professional goals
- Participate in code review & technical whiteboard discussions. Support trading off technical debt versus the pace of progress
- Collaborate closely with leads & EMs working on different components across the org
- Professional experience with building production-level scalable software, preferably that involves 3D, geometry processing or physical system modeling & simulation
- Proven ability to operate effectively & autonomously across multiple teams in situations of ambiguity, with only high level direction
- Ability to deliver in the short-term while preparing for the long-term
- Ability to communicate highly technical problems & solutions at all levels from engineer to C-level executives
- Demonstrated success in a fast-paced environment & collaborate across teams & disciplines
- Openness to new / different ideas. Ability to evaluate multiple approaches & choose the best one based on first principles
- 5+ years of people management experience