Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you & your peers will love
DigitalOceans Managed Databases Team builds & runs cloud-scale distributed systems powering internal & customer-facing services & products. Were creating flexible & powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly & easily as possible. Were looking for engineers responsible for the design, implementation & maintenance of products including Database-as-a-Service, particularly in the areas of NoSQL such as MongoDB.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to work on a small team focused on Database-as-a-Service products. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Managed Databases team within the Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) organization within Engineering.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Participating in development of external customer-facing Managed Database products, with an affinity for NoSQL technologies such as MongoDB
- Working on technically challenging distributed systems
- Collaborating with an agile, self-managed team of peers
- Leveraging interesting technologies such as Go, Docker, Kafka, & more
- Integrating with many components across the DigitalOcean stack
- Evangelizing the work of the team with Engineering, Product, Design, & beyond
What Well Expect From You:
- Multiple years of production engineering experience operating NoSQL backends, such as MongoDB
- A solid understanding of building & maintaining distributed systems
- A desire in the area of resilience engineering, fault tolerance, & failure domains as they relate to database backends
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, or Go. Golang is preferred as it is used very widely among DigitalOcean engineering teams.
- Working knowledge of microservices using container workload engines & frameworks such as Docker & Kubernetes
- A strong background & exposure to different databases, specifically NoSQL systems (MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis)
- Familiarity with prevalent message bus & queuing technologies (Kafka, RabbitMQ)
- Passion for a simple but delightful user experience & ability to work closely with front-end developers
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills to collaborate & demonstrate empathy with key stakeholders, both spoken & written
- Love writing new & improving existing code with an strong emphasis on testing & maintainability
- Work well in a small team & able to balance & prioritize projects & requests
- A positive energy & passion for delighting customers
- Demonstrated ability to work at multiple levels of the stack
- Ideal hire locations for this role include US/CA/DE/NL/IN
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!