Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Senior Product Development Manager to join our Product Development team. Away is seeking a highly organized Sr Product Development Manager to lead our luggage product development.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? This role drives & manages the development of luggage. This role will take initial design concept through to production handover ultimately ensuring the development of luggage remains on time & up to brand standards.This role is a critical partner to Design, Merchandise, & several other Supply Chain & internal teams.
The ideal candidate will have had extensive experience in product development working directly with manufacturers ideally in luggage or hard-goods.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, anti-racism training, & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
More importantly, you will build relationships throughout the organization & represent the company & brand in line with our culture. You will act as an extension of the wider Product Development team. You maximize productivity for the team, enabling them to do their best work.
This role will report to the Sr Director of Product Development & is based at our HQ in SoHo, NYC.
What youll do:
- Manage end-to-end luggage product development, from timeline adherence, material sourcing, costing through to production handover.
- Be the voice of luggage Product Development cross functionally communicating product status, costing & suggesting process improvement where possible. Manage one direct report supporting luggage development
- Work with design to bring their vision to life, balancing cost & commercial requirements.
- Build & maintain material & component library for luggage in line with design needs & category vision.
- Work hand in hand with QC, Production, Sourcing, Packaging & other necessary teams ensuring product cycle deadlines are met & product standards are upheld.
- Manage factory allocation according to sourcing strategy.
- Source new suppliers based on category growth & needs.
- Facilitate day-to-day communications with existing suppliers & manufacturers focusing on in building strong & trusted relationships with overseas partners
- Partner with production on style handover ensuring specs & detailed product details are correct, problem solving any pre-production issues.
- Maintain various Product Development tools including accurate records of styles & costing.
Who you are:
- Have 5 years of full-time experience as a product developer preferably in luggage or hard goods.
- Strong understanding of construction of product, preferably in bags or soft goods.
- Product centric person with a strong sense of curiosity & problem solving.
- Experience working with global manufacturers & suppliers.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment & communicate cross functionally with all levels of the organization.
- Have Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop skills
- Demonstrates ability to juggle & prioritize multiple tasks & projects simultaneously & successfully
- Possesses strong project management skills: one who thinks ahead & anticipates needsyoure never satisfied with the status quo, always thinking how can we do this better?
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Operates as a partner / in it together & naturally builds relationships with internal teams & external manufacturing partners
- Comfortable working independently, but also knows when to ask for help
- Adhere to confidentiality & sensitive information protocols
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced & energetic environment
- A passionate ambassador of the brand
- You love to travel (but thats a given)
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using Bindle, a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire