Welcome to Team Whistle, an entertainment media brand that creates, curates & distributes brand-safe video content that is positive, relatable & uplifting.
Team Whistle inspires its highly-engaged audience by blending proprietary data-driven insights & showcasing unparalleled in-house production capabilities through original programming across multiple passion points.
Join Team Whistle, including New Form (our LA-based studio) & Vertical Networks (our mobile-first lifestyle studio), across all social platforms, digital streaming & linear cable networks to discover everything from scripted to unscripted shows.
Who You Are:
You are a self-starter who can communicate effectively across our internal & external partners, work well under pressure & meet tight deadlines in a fast paced, ever changing environment. You are a transactions attorney savvy in entertainment matters, & will be responsible for day-to-day client support, contract drafting, negotiation & maintenance in connection with our diverse linear, digital, social & other new media development, production & distribution matters. You can hold your own at the negotiating table & skillfully put together an impeccable contract to close the deal. You have an excellent ability to issue spot, assess risk & resolve legal issues quickly & effectively, while maintaining clear focus on achieving our business objectives.
This role will be based out of Whistles office in Los Angeles or New York & reports to our Vice President, Legal & Business Affairs.
Primary Job Description:
Our business & legal affairs practice includes all aspects of intellectual property licensing, original programming, talent agreements, pre-publication review of content & regulatory compliance. As Legal & Business Affairs Counsel, you will:
- Serve as dedicated legal & business affairs support for internal & external partners, advising primarily on original & branded entertainment & production-related matters, including agreements for talent, cast & crew, engaging industry unions, tracking rights & permissions, adhering to company production & development standards, & other matters related to scripted & unscripted programming.
- Draft & negotiate services agreements, licensing agreements, production agreements, talent agreements, vendor agreements, advertising & sponsorship agreements.
- Counsel social media, talent & production teams on branded content campaigns & original programming from ideation through execution.
- Review campaigns/ content for regulatory compliance (e.g. FTC, COPPA, Sweeps), rights clearance
- Counsel development & production teams on original programming from ideation through execution.
- Assist in the management of litigation/claims, employment & other HR matters
- Assist in corporate privacy compliance
- Identify, assess & inform management & business managers of legal & business risks, & recommend creative solutions.
- Have a practical, solutions-oriented approach when counseling internal & external stakeholders, including production & development teams, external counsel & consultants & other third-party vendors.
- Review & advise regarding intellectual property issues & clearance as to content in the productions
- Maintain legal & business affairs infrastructure, company records, databases
- Conduct contract analysis & provide ongoing risk analysis in connection with a variety of matters including, but not limited to, insurance, employment & corporate matters
- Assist with efforts to develop & refine forms, processes & procedures.
- Provide support for the Legal & Business Affairs team where needed.
- BA/BS & JD degree from a top tier law school.
- Must be admitted, active & in good standing with the California state bar.
- Minimum of 3-5 years prior experience, ideally gained at a combination of a nationally-recognized law firm & in-house in a network/studio or production/media company.
- Basic understanding of the transactions & legal issues that arise at a digital media/production company, including content production, guild/union issues, distribution deals, content review,
- Extensive experience drafting & negotiating agreements required.
- Substantial understanding of intellectual property law, with a strong desire to learn & keep current with new areas of the law.
- Deep knowledge of entertainment industries & related transactions.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, collegial & self-motivated
- Ability to manage multiple matters & accommodate tight deadlines while working in a fast-paced & rapidly evolving environment; flexibility or long hours, if & when necessary.
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, G-Suite, AdobeSign, Trello & other task management platforms; willingness to adopt new tools & systems
- Understanding & willingness to learn new digital distribution platforms.
- Strong desire to work within a multidisciplinary team
- Pride in distilling complex legal topics to non-legal stakeholders
- Ability to work independently but also be a team player.
- Positive, can do attitude.