KATERRA exists to help transform construction through technology - every process & every product.
We provided end-to-end building services, creating new efficiencies between design, engineering, construction, project management, & more. Our integrated teams apply the principles of technology & manufacturing to the building industry, bringing fresh minds & innovative approaches to remove unnecessary time & costs from construction projects.
At KATERRA, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, & bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
One of KATERRA's cultural principles is Diversity.We believe different backgrounds, ideas, & skillsets result in better outcomes.KATERRA does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. KATERRA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, veterans & those with diverse life experiences
Senior Fire Protection Designer
This Sr. Fire Protection Designer will develop complete sets of documents, drawings, calculations, & variations for the fire alarm & fire suppression scopes of Katerra building products. These products shall incorporate leading edge infrastructure technology & developed to facilitate high degrees of manufacturing (i.e. prefabrication), constructability, & cost efficiency. The perfect candidate will also have strong communication skills, experience performing alternative analyses, experience working with cross-functional teams or in integrated project delivery approaches, & most importantly be driven to challenge typical approaches.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Sr. Fire Protection Designer will be a member of Katerras Building Product Engineering team. His/her responsibility will include, but is not limited to:
- Design fire alarm systems including circuit calculations, riser diagrams & other details.
- Design fire suppression systems including sprinkler & hydraulic calculations.
- Design layouts including floor plans & elevations for internal & external spaces showing.
- Develop device/system specifications & Basis of Design documentation.
- Participate in detailing, BIM modeling, & high LOD fire protection design.
- Perform design duties for prototype or first-build deployments of new Katerra Building platforms. Including supporting permit set packages & review of installation sets/models.
- Perform rigorous value engineering of fire alarm & suppression system designs factoring in costs, constructability, & manufacturability (i.e. prefabrication) & working with the product leads & other resources
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines, architecture, etc. to develop high quality building products.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelors in Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical Engineering, or Architecture.
- NICET Level 3 or higher
- 4+ years in a construction engineering/design role for completed building projects
- 3+ year of experience reviewing submittal packages or specifying devices for fire alarm & suppression systems installations.
- 2+ years of experience as a lead designing fire alarm & suppression systems for commercial buildings, residential or mixed-used buildings.
- 1+ years of experience designing fire alarm & suppression systems for mission-critical facilities (i.e. data centers), industrial plants, or health-care facilities.
- Advanced knowledge & active experience in all the following tools: AutoCAD, Autodesk Revit, Bluebeam, & Microsoft Office suite.
- Working knowledge of AutoSprink, AlarmCAD, SprinkCAD, & Trane Trace
- Expertise at the NFPA & IBC standards & guidelines
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Registered Fire Protection Engineer (FPE) in at least one U.S. state with the potential for reciprocity in all U.S. states.
- Working knowledge of the Uniform Plumbing Code (CPC) & National Electrical Code (NEC)
- 1+ years of experience as the main point of contact for the fire protection in integrated project delivery (IPD) projects.
- Experience working at a company that performs prefabrication for fire protection assemblies.
Seattle, WA primarily
May consider strong candidates in San Francisco, CA, Scottsdale, AZ or Atlanta, GA.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue & hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.