Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce & logistics network & a strong culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection, & price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest & fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world. We also recently expanded our operations to include customers in Japan & Taiwan.
We have engineering offices in Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, Mountain View, & Seattle.
Youll be faced with unique challenges to scale as we aim to grow to more than 55M+ users in Korea alone. Youll also get to push the envelope of whats possible with mobile commerce. (Currently over 75% of our sales are done on mobile!)
What you will do
- Develop the core search ranking algorithm used for candidate generation (first phase ranking / lightweight scoring) using state of the art machine learning techniques
- Big Data Analytics supporting logging, data collection, modeling, & optimization
- Highly Scalable & Reliable services oriented architecture
- Demonstrate leadership & mentorship across the Candidate Generation team & broader search org
- Masters degree or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related science majors
- Have a minimum of eight total years of experience
- Extensive hands-on experience with Machine Learning, especially in the areas of search ranking & query understanding
- Proficiency with major programming languages (Java/Scala, Python) & machine learning frameworks (PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.)
- Solid work with fundamental algorithms, system design, & large distributed systems
- Practical expertise in various disciplines of information retrieval, machine learning, & natural language processing, such as text mining, classification, information extraction, feature engineering, ranking, & search relevance
- Major bonus points for deep knowledge about Solr/Lucene architecture design & performance tuning
- Experience with handling large data volumes in a distributed environment ideally with both backend data processing & web tier data management
- A passion to explore, improve, automate, & optimize distributed systems & tools
- Ability to think outside the box & challenge conventional wisdom
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis-C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, or affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.