Location: Bronx, NY
Reports to: Director, Youth & Support Services
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Per Scholas is seeking an enthusiastic, mission-driven, expert Financial Coach to work with students in all aspects of our financial education services at our Bronx location. We are looking for a Financial Coach who is comfortable & confident working within a student-led process, not as a financial adviser. The goals of our Financial Security Strategies program are to:
- Teach students sound financial management
- Intervene & assist students in resolving financial issues that require immediate action
- Provide financial security tools & resources to develop the skills necessary to make informed financial decisions & achieve long-term economic stability
WHAT YOULL DO
- Conduct structured Financial Capability Workshops for all Per Scholas classes
- Offer one-on-one coaching sessions with each student at our Newark location, both pre- & post graduation
- Assist students with a range of financial security supports related to credit & debt management
- Teach students about best practices in personal banking & money management
- Collaborate with Director & other Financial Coaches in developing & implementing appropriate revisions to the Per Scholas Financial Security Strategies program, as well as introducing new curriculum & site-specific service offerings
- Provide VITA tax preparation services to Per Scholas students & graduates
- Partner with the Career Services team to provide students with benefits enrollment & referrals to outside organizations for additional assistance
- Develop, organize, & maintain a comprehensive on-site resource center with articles, tip sheets, worksheets, & other relevant information
- Build & support partnerships with community-based organizations & government agencies, to enable credible referrals for bankruptcies, starting a small business, foreclosure prevention, legal assistance, & other financial related issues
- Track student progress & complete weekly reports based on student meetings & critical financial indicators, while ensuring the privacy, confidentiality & data security of all students
- Play a vital role in the Youth & Support Services team, participating in regular case conferencing to ensure seamless delivery of wraparound supports & targeted interventions
- Create, analyze, & present regular progress reports, to supervisors, partners, funders
- Participate in local & national events, forums & conferences related to financial education
- Stay current on developments in the financial education field, including local policies
- Manage a large caseload of current students & alumni in large group as well as one-on-one settings
WHAT YOULL BRING TO US
- Bachelors degree (or equivalent relevant experience)
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in finance, financial education & counseling/coaching
- Demonstrated experience in classroom training & understanding principles of classroom management & diversity
- Experience measuring, reporting, & communicating program results
- Experience delivering financial literacy/strategy education to low-income clients
- Experience in organizational training & development or learning & development
- Experience training adults (18+)
- Knowledge of workforce development
- Financial Coach certification
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Google Suite; Salesforce & Change Machine
- Deep experience working in or understanding of unique local community context
- You have a strong passion for helping individuals in often overlooked communities become financially stable.
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work & mission.
- You are data-driven, result-oriented & a forward-looking catalyst for social change.
- You are tech savvy & can learn new tools quickly.
- You have a collaborative & flexible work style. Youre excited to work as part of a team, cross-functionally with other departments, & independently.
- You have strong public speaking, presentation, & written communications skills.
- You have excellent attention to detail, are strong at managing your time, & you can balance multiple projects & tasks.
- You are enthusiastic, energetic & outgoing.
- You see students & graduates as capable, resourceful & experts in their own experience.
- You stand behind our mission, believing that individuals from any community should have access to well-paying career positions, & that talent should be recognized & recruited from many diverse sources.
WHY WORK HERE?
We believe our staff is the heart & soul of the organization. Our workplace culture is challenging, supportive, collaborative & mission-driven. We take a genuine interest in career paths & work-life balance, & welcome contributing ideas from staff at all levels. Working at Per Scholas means working somewhere full of engaging, savvy, diverse people who care deeply about pushing our work forward.
Youll enjoy a welcoming & casual professional environment, self-development opportunities, innovative technology, & benefits like health care & a 401K match. If you want to work in a progressive organization, where you can build something meaningful & have fun while doing it, we would love to hear from you.
ABOUT PER SCHOLAS:
Per Scholas is a national nonprofit that drives positive & proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous & tuition-free technology training & professional development, we prepare motivated & curious adults who are unemployed or underemployed for successful careers as technology professionals, & we create onramps to businesses in need of their talents. Today we provide our solutions in eleven cities across the country: Atlanta, GA; Baltimore, MD; Greater Boston, MA; Greater Cincinnati, OH; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; Detroit, MI; the National Capital Region Newark, NJ, New York, NY & Philadelphia, PA. To date, Per Scholas has trained more than 10,000 individuals, helping them build lasting, life changing skills & careers in technology.
If you have any questions about this role, please feel free to email our People team at email@example.com. We look forward to viewing your application!
Learn more at perscholas.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. See our full EEO statement here.