At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we're unlocking the power of educator-created content. TpT gives educators access to a trusted, one-of-a-kind community. We are the world's first marketplace of our kind & founded by a teacher, for teachers as the go-to platform for teacher-created content for nearly 15 years. We are currently serving more than 7.5 million users & more than 85% of U.S. teachers. TpT is focused on building the next generation of e-learning experiences for millions of students & teachers across the world. If you haven't heard of TpT yet & want to learn more, just ask any teacher!
Over the last several years, weve gone from having one growing product to multiple growing products & having a robust technical platform is key for enabling us to continue building our suite of products. As a software engineer on the Service Framework team, youll help set the tone for service development at TPT by defining patterns & frameworks that other engineers rely upon. Were maturing our approach to service oriented architecture, which includes challenges like offering a common framework that every service can utilize, streamlining service-to-service communication through eventing, & helping establish best practices for service development. If you like to solve hard problems, be in the center of the action, & play for high stakes, this role is for you.
- Own the implementation & delivery of engineering priorities on the team through direct contributions as well as through code reviews, pairing & other practices.
- Support building a healthy, inclusive team culture that emphasizes continuous learning, mentorship, & empowerment. Provide feedback & mentorship to your team members, both to more junior team members & to peers.
- Collaborate with engineers on other teams to integrate their products with the functionality of TpTs core domains.
- Contribute to the maintenance & operation in production of the systems the team supports & builds by participating in our on-call rotation.
- Identify, highlight, & tackle the highest priority work, both within ongoing projects & in suggesting new opportunities to explore.
- Identify & propose solutions to open-ended problems, then implement solutions to those problems.
- Inform the teams roadmap by using a working knowledge of product direction to stay ahead of the curve of feature development.
- Lead projects that will include multiple engineers, making sure that the overall goals of the project are clear, & helping to resolve issues with the initial plan that come up along the way
Qualities of a successful candidate:
- Experience in working across multiple languages & technologies, especially the willingness to dive into new concepts & learn.
- Experience in any of Elixir, Rails, Node.js, Typescript, or PHP, & with technologies & patterns like GraphQL, Serverless, async workflows, or service oriented architecture are not requirements, but certainly positives.
- Experience in building shared patterns & services that can continue to evolve past their initial implementation.
- Experience in building highly scalable backend patterns & services that can support a multitude of use cases.
- Experience identifying cross-cutting problems, proposing solutions, & driving adoption of those solutions across teams with their own priorities.
- Backend focus, but with an empathy for the needs of the teachers who use TpT, so we can provide a strong foundation on top of which to build new & extend existing products.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills. We work with people all over the world, so we need to be able to communicate not just face-to-face, but also asynchronously.
- Willingness to ask questions that help you & others learn & grow together, challenge assumptions that arent validated & clarify the goals of projects, teams & the company.
Benefits & Perks:
At TpT, we believe the positive experience of employees is essential to growth, both individually & collectively. To achieve our mission of Empowering Educators to Teach at Their Best, we must also empower the members of our TpT Team to work at their best. To that end, two of our core company values are We Learn & Grow Together & We Enjoy the Journey. Weve committed to these values & to our employees through investing in added benefits & perks:
- Comprehensive Medical, Vision & Dental Benefits
- Free Telemedicine Membership - 24/7 access to trusted medical advisors
- Generous PTO & Wellness Days
- 5 Week Recharge Leave after 5 Years, to refresh & celebrate the impact youve had at TpT
- Generous Parental Leave (for new parents) for time to adjust to parenthood, plus additional six weeks for the birth parent
- Onsite Mothers Room
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) to promote employee inclusivity & belonging
- Engineering Learning Fridays (ELF), to provide a space each week for Engineering teams to collaborate & learn from each other
- Professional Development Stipend, to support the professional growth of employees (including - but not limited to - subscriptions, books, lectures, etc.)
- Annual Company Events (Camp TpT, Field Day, Hackathons, Holiday Party, Summer Picnic, Classroom Visits, etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion & encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized & celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process should contact the TpT People Ops Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Finally, if youre a California resident, California law requires that we provide you notice about the collection & use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. You can find our full notice here.