Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Privacy Counsel to join our Legal team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
As Privacy Counsel, you will be a key member of the Legal team responsible for providing leadership, guidance, & strategic insights on state & federal privacy & security requirements applicable to Oscars business. We currently operate in the individual market (both on-and off-exchange) in fifteen states, the small group market in four states, & the Medicare Advantage market. Weve also joined with Cigna to launch an exciting small group product. We anticipate further geographic expansion & new product offerings. You should be comfortable in an ever changing environment as we continue to grow!
Deliverables: What you have to achieve
- Provide legal advice on privacy & security matters, with emphasis on issues facing a HIPAA covered entity such as business associate agreements & oversight, use of PHI, & use of de-identified data.
- Provide thought leadership on regulatory & industry developments, including the ongoing monitoring & tracking of trends in privacy & security laws, regulations, & public policy, & the tracking of pertinent private party action.
- Provide legal counsel to the Privacy Officer & the Privacy team, & the Chief Information Security Officer & the Security team to support the Privacy & Security programs. This includes advising on a range of privacy, security, & data-related legal questions.
- Support Oscars organizational priorities by providing innovative counsel on proposed business arrangements.
- Maintain & update contracts & clauses relevant to privacy & security, including business associate agreements & trading partner agreements.
- In conjunction with the VP of Compliance, Privacy Officer, Chief Information Security Officer, support investigations into reported or observed privacy or security violations.
- Work with minimal supervision on multiple, simultaneous & diverse assignments while adhering to deadlines & managing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Support cross-training, problem-solving, & knowledge development across Oscar.
- You have a J.D. from an ABA accredited law school with 3-5+ years of legal experience. Youre licensed to practice law in New York, either as a licensed attorney or as licensed in-house counsel, or are able to obtain such licensure shortly after hire.
- You are Certified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC) by the HCCA. Bonus if you have a CIPP/US certification.
- You have prior managerial experience.
- Youre highly organized & detail-oriented; you always strive for perfection.
- You have a demonstrated ability to take ownership with strong work ethic & follow-through skills.
- You possess excellent leadership & communication skills to drive results across a wide range of stakeholders, from data scientists to sales executives to external consultants.
- Youre a critical thinker who can distill complex concepts & regulatory requirements into easy to understand action items.
- You get things done, even if its crunch time.
- You have a passion for healthcare & a knack for making processes more systematic.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.