At Pursuit, all employees have the opportunity to make a profound, positive social impact. We are building a dynamic, impactful, ambitious, brilliant hard-working team to achieve our goals & support our national expansion.
Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates transformation where its needed most. Through our intensive, four-year software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills & industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, & become the next generation of leaders in tech.
Our graduates are hired by leading companies like Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, BlackRock, & JPMorgan Chase, & increase their average annual salaries from $18,000 to over $85,000. By connecting talent with opportunity, Pursuit empowers graduates to transform their families, tech companies, & communities across the nation. Read about our work in the New York Times: Income Before: $18,000. After: $85,000. Does Tiny Nonprofit Hold a Key to the Middle Class?
Creating the Foundations for National Impact
Pursuit is a rapidly growing organization thats scaling to make a national impact. Founded in 2011, we have doubled in budget & staff each year over the past several years. We are currently a team of 35 & anticipate expanding our team to 60+ this year. We are creating a non-traditional financing model which leverages social impact/program related investments & earned revenue strategies that align program performance with financial results. We plan to rapidly scale our operations, personnel & funding to create the foundations for national expansion & more broadly serve communities & cities across America.
About the Role:
We are hiring a Director of Engineering to establish engineering standards, collaborate with key engineering leaders to train adults with high need & potential to become software engineers & future leaders, & lead internal software development projects.
In this role you will be our first internal engineering leader! Well need you to scope & assess our hiring needs as we begin software development projects key to our growth in 2020.
In addition to leading a team, you will oversee engineering guidelines for our technical curriculum, set technical standards to enable the instructional team to create effective learning for our Fellows & certify their skills, contribute to organizational strategy on new content areas, & partner with external engineering leaders to gain insight into their hiring needs to build a career engineering ladder that will prepare Fellows for their new career.
- Act as our first engineering leader to scope & build a team to develop in house software solutions
- Bring innovation to the team in new features, building processes & product development lifecycle
- Set engineering standards for Pursuit Fellowship to enable the instructional design team & instructors to build effective learning, curriculum, & certification resources
- Design the process to provide Fellows with tools & best practices to prepare for successful technical interviews.
- Work with Pursuit Instructors to create new student-facing resources. Be a key thought partner in resource creation.
- Partner & collaborate with key engineering leaders across the tech landscape to align our Fellowships technical standards with hiring partners needs
- Strategize & lead internal software development team
- Provide technical mentorship & growth support for staff - both instructors & in house developers - & fellow career development
- Assess & help fellows with their journey into a new career as a software engineer
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 10+ years of experience
- Degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Proven leadership experience, guiding teams of engineers through their career development
- Led teams on the successful development of software engineering projects end to end from architecture to planning to development to implementation
- Up to date with latest development tools, programming techniques, & engineering best practices.
- Able to communicate & collaborate with stakeholders who are technical & non technical.
- Demonstrated skill in designing & architecting large-scale systems infrastructures
- Experience hiring & managing a team of software engineers.
- You are passionate about a culture of learning & teaching
Our Values & Culture
At Pursuit, we operate as One Big Team, supporting one another & ensuring that everyone from staff to funders to board members & volunteers are aligned in our efforts to bring transformation to our community. Our values underscore everything we do.
Giving Our All: We have a strong moral & ethical purpose. It's a privilege to have the responsibility of our daily work & immense impact on the world. Our purpose coupled with exceptional passion creates a high sense of urgency & deep commitment to our students, to our community, & to each other.
Delivering Outcomes: Because our students deserve it, because our investors expect it, & because each of us demand it. We work with the best -- & we are immeasurably grateful for the time, resources, skill, & care that every member of our community invests in our mission. We earn their faith in us, renew their commitment, & thank them by delivering outcomes to each & every one of our stakeholders.
Data Driven, Human Judgement: We cant manage anything we cant measure. Data & analysis give definition & ownership to what we do. Evidenced-based decision making allows us to understand our impact & improve over time. At the same time, our work is about what things could be. We are driven by the potential of humanity & the faith in whats possible. Our work is about beating the odds & overcoming the counterfactual.
In addition to competitive compensation, we are happy to provide employees with a range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, & vision insurance, flexible paid time off, robust 401k matching, discounted gym memberships, & a fun & active workplace that includes drinks, snacks, & fun team events.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds & experiences, & we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives & affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.