The Atlantic is seeking an experienced journalist with exceptionally well-developed expertise in the use & interpretation of analytics platforms. This person will join the leadership team in charge of audience engagement in the newsroom, reporting to a deputy editor; develop close collaborative relationships with journalists across the organization; & be a partner & liaison to the teams outside the newsroom that focus on growth, data science, & audience insights.
Founded in 1857, the magazine is undergoing a major expansion of its newsroom, digital platforms, & journalistic ambitions. The newsroom audience team sits at a key intersection between The Atlantic & its readers. It helps dedicated readers find the most valuable & nourishing work for them, leads casual visitors to greater depth, & introduces newcomers to our journalists & sensibility.
The successful candidate will be a natural exponent of The Atlantics core values: generosity, relentlessness, & impact.
The journalist we hire for this role will have three objectives:
- Work with colleagues across the organization to set & test hypotheses about how to cultivate habit & draw more readers across a key threshold of visit frequency.
- Identify & pursue opportunities to drive deeper engagement in real time, for example by tailoring a recirculation approach on a given story based on referrer.
- Find & socialize insight-driven recommended actions across the editorial staff, working with individual teams to improve presentation, guide publication times, & shape general promotional strategy on both a per-story & broader strategic basis.
In addition, as a leader on the audience team, this person will be responsible for managing the performance & career development of one or more editors on the team.
Were looking for these qualities:
- Impeccable journalistic judgment, usually developed over several years of experience as a newsroom editor.
- Expert facility with analytics tools, including Google Analytics, Firebase, Looker & tktktk. (We will consider candidates who can quickly develop expertise in our tools.)
- Experience executing a proactive digital audience strategy.or features. Review & edit promo plans from staff
- A well-developed, empathetic managerial philosophy, & the ability to inspire goal-driven performance.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two pillar gifts in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas to the good & not have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, & flight to the latter.
Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity a natural disposition in each colleague toward service & selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth critical on the merits but informed by charity & forbearance in measuring motive & personal character.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest & conviction records.
California law requires that we provide you this notice about the collection & use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. Please contact Privacy@AtlanticMedia.com if you have any questions.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.