BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
We are looking for a full-stack developer to help us create the future of the BuzzFeed Quiz experience.
You will be working on a team that is focused on creating a deep, compelling, & differentiated experience for BuzzFeed Quizzes that our users will love & return to. This role is perfect for someone with a passion for digital media who wants to work on projects with huge impact on one of our core products.
Youll join our London engineering team & be surrounded by passionate people who are generous with their time & want to help you grow at BuzzFeed. Youll work with engineering, product, design, & data science colleagues globally across time zones. While many BuzzFeeders typically go into offices, BuzzFeed employees are asked to WFH remotely until at least mid 2021 due to the pandemic.
- Work with a team of other engineers, designers, product managers, data scientists, & editorial stakeholders to shape & elevate the core BuzzFeed Quiz experience
- Focus on the frontend vision & implementation of our Quiz experience, with attention to performance, maintainability, & user experience
- Contribute to the creation, maintenance & improvement of supporting backend systems
- Reach across the entire tech stack at BuzzFeed & get a deep understanding of large-scale media companies architecture & operations
- You have 2 or more years of experience in software engineering
- You excel at frontend development & ideally have experience working across the full web stack
- You understand that the web is for everyone & build inclusive, accessible systems
- You are a passionate, empathetic, & product-focused engineer who enjoys contributing to & leading technical projects & working with engineers at all levels
- You value testing, instrumenting & documenting your work
- You adapt quickly to change & love to ship & iterate, building on new user research, insights & data
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
About the Products
Our frontend consists of several JS frameworks including React & Preact
Our backend services are written in Python, Go, or Node depending on the scope & context of the service
Monitoring & instrumentation is essential to our work. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, & proprietary services
We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, & run their services using containers on AWS/GCP
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.