ABOUT THE JOB
The Bar None Trivia Operations Manager will be one of our first team members and will be tasked with executing on our highest operations and sales operations priorities. Responsibilities will span all orgs, including operations, sales, marketing, product, and more. You will report directly to the COO. Beyond the responsibilities listed below, you'll be involved in almost all big decisions we make, helping define where we head and who we become.
This 10-week internship is perfect for someone who is looking to spend the summer immersing themselves in the world of start-up operations. Our CEO and COO are both Harvard Business School 2019 graduates and are excited to work this summer with a fellow MBA! We're an early-stage start-up, so initiatives and priorities will evolve over time, but early initiatives will include:
- Executing on all operations to run our core offering on a daily basis, including scheduling hosts; handling all client interactions once a sale has been made; including relevant updates in databases; and using client responses to create customized game theming
- Spearheading training for new hosts and training for existing hosts on new games or product offerings
- Identifying process pain points and creating new processes to improve efficiency and customer happiness
- Creating a holistic sales process to manage cold outbound and re-engagement efforts, enabling us to reach out to, and re-engage with, hundreds of thousands of potential customers: includes figuring out lead generation, drip campaigns, and managing funnel from sourcing to closing deals
- Managing warm leads from inbound to close, including demos when needed for large potential clients
- Finding third-party marketplaces and other partners where Bar None can list and sell events; negotiating with platforms on rates; and getting Bar None onboarded on said marketplaces
- Conducting partnership maintenance to see where Bar None is doing well and where it's not, and to work with partners where Bar None is underperforming to increase volume
- Creating process for managing social media presence on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Managing SEO strategy: analyzing keywords, creating blog-posting strategy and content, and working to increase domain authority
- Engaging in strategic outreach to press to win earned media
WHO YOU ARE
- Natural problem solver - you love solving problems in creative ways and are comfortable working on tasks where you may not know the right answer at the start
- Operations guru - you get energized by making things work across projects big and small; there's no task that you can't handle (or Google, or find someone else with expertise to help you with...)
- Multitasker and prioritizer - you enjoy working on multiple projects at once, are well-organized, and have the ability to prioritize based on importance when handling various jobs
- Excellent communicator - you have exceptional written & verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated and reliable colleague - you're in your element when working without constant supervision and you complete tasks on time, or you give a heads up if you're running behind
- Not a jerk - you believe in our #1 company value ("be good to each other") as strongly as we do, treat your colleagues with respect, and keep our positive company culture alive and well!
- Location flexible - while our co-founders live in New York, NY, and Chicago, IL, we are true believers of remote work and this position is open to employees from anywhere in the U.S.
- Currently pursuing MBA
- Passionate about start-ups / learning more about early-stage companies
- Passion for fun and games encouraged!
- Internship will likely be remote - preference for NYC or Chicago-based but not required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Compensation must come through university in form of start-up fellowship or course credit
- Awesome company culture - great coworkers who deeply care that you're excited to come into the "office" each day!
ABOUT BAR NONE TRIVIA
The COVID-19 pandemic has ushered in a new way of life, both in the near-term and long-term. In the near-term, we're all working from home, feeling pretty lonely. In the long-term, many companies are going to remain remote, or consist of distributed teams. The world isn't going back to its pre-pandemic state; there's going to be a new normal.
Bar None Trivia keeps people - coworkers, students, friends, and family - connected when they can't be physically present. Currently, we do that through our in-house bar-style trivia game, which crowns a team trivia champion over multiple rounds of varied, highly engaging, collaborative trivia. In our first six months, we've hosted over 600 games for over 300 companies, with a 70% repeat customer rate within two months, serving 12,000+ players. In 2021, we're looking to build on this great start.
We are constantly adding to our in-house trivia library of 125+ categories (complete with creative rounds, music rounds, and picture rounds). Our large trivia collection allows us to customize games for all types of customers, from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, from college orientations to family holiday parties. We have a team of 9 hosts (and growing!) who come from all walks of life (acting, entertaining, sales, and more) but share a common passion for trivia and desire to create an amazing experience for everyone on our events.
While we've started with trivia, we're looking to grow in the coming months into a platform where anyone looking to stay connected in a fun, engaging way can come and have a guaranteed fun time. We're not going to change our DNA - we'll always have amazing content created in-house, built around connecting people over a seamless operational experience led by fantastic hosts - but we're excited to spread that DNA to new offerings, use cases, and customers.
We have three company values that infuse everything we do:
- Be good to each other
- Life's short, have fun
- You can count on us
Our leadership team met at Harvard Business School in 2017 and has substantial experience in finance (Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Carlyle) and leadership roles at start-ups/venture (Uber, FJ Labs).
The market is huge. The tailwinds are strong. And most importantly, the job is fun! We spend our days making people happy; it's an amazing feeling. We're excited to grow the team!