Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We strive to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Come & join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high & build to last?
We are looking for a Senior Technical Writer to join our team & help us create outstanding documentation that educates & guides our global community of customers & open source users to success. In this role, you will:
- Put yourself in the shoes of architects & administrators planning & running CockroachDB & developers building applications against it.
- Write concise & informative how-tos & tutorials, intuitive explanations of complex topics & features, & comprehensive CLI & SQL reference documentation.
- Develop technical expertise in CockroachDB & accompanying technologies.
- Foster collaboration with our Engineering, Product, Support, & Sales teams to keep our documentation up-to-date, effective, & user-centric.
In your first 30 days, you will have completed onboarding, & have developed enough expertise to begin your first documentation project & to review & edit documentation written by other technical writers on the team. You will be using CockroachDB hands-on throughout. We believe that it's important to take this first month to become familiar with our technology & our company.
After 3 months, you'll be fully integrated into the team. You will take ownership of documenting part of CockroachDB. You'll design & improve documentation conventions, processes, & tools to increase the effectiveness & efficiency of the documentation process.
As our user base grows, you will be a part of growing the team to accommodate higher demands for education. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using CockroachDB & that requires excellent documentation from you & the team.
- You love writing & editing concise & highly useful documentation for technical audiences of application developers, database administrators, & other CockroachDB users. You are passionate about clarity, concision, & correctness.
- You are comfortable with Markdown, HTML, CSS, & UNIX, as well as source control systems like git.
- You have development experience & a proven track record of writing code samples for effective developer documentation.
- You are already familiar with, or are willing to learn about, the various technologies that make web-scale applications function.
- You are an information sponge. You love getting into the weeds technically, but don't let that distract you from achieving your end goals.
- You love building relationships with internal & external users to get feedback & identify potential areas of documentation improvement.
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.