Were one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because were building a better way to get home & our customers love it. By combining the technology people expect with a seamless customer service experience, were making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
In 2018 alone, weve helped over 10,000 families get home, saving them on average $3,500 in upfront fees & days of stress-filled time.
Our backers have helped build some of most transformative tech & finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank & others have invested over $85MM in Better & our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a Product Manager for our loan operations team. You'll streamline our loan processing workflows, automate repetitive tasks, & make it easier for our operations team to get their work done. This is a high-visibility role that spans internal & consumer-facing product experiences, & is central to our companys strategy & future growth.
Today it takes 45 days for users to complete a mortgage loan. You will reduce that to 1 day. Today it costs $1,500 to process a loan. You will reduce that to near $0. In accomplishing these goals, you will extend our competitive advantage & help us scale from $1B to $10B in loan volume. Most importantly, you will make it easier for Americans to make the most important purchase of their lives.
Responsibilities will include:
- Be the product leader on a squad, which consists of five engineers, one designer, & an operations stakeholder.
- Manage competing priorities with consistency & transparency. Make good decisions & articulate the reasoning to stakeholders.
- Become a subject matter expert in your area by interviewing users & analyzing product data.
- Define the product roadmap for your squad.
- Write clear & detailed product requirements.
- Test & launch high-impact new features & train the operations team on how to use them.
- Triage & fix bugs.
- Ultimately, set & hit your squads performance metrics, & improve the loan experience for our borrowers.
- Reduce borrower confusion during the loan process by analyzing workflows & improving the language & explanations of what were asking for.
- Ensure borrowers are informed during the loan process by auto-sending them texts & emails at key milestones.
- Eliminate the need for our customer support team to ask borrowers for documents. Analyze which documents are most commonly asked for & have our application request them automatically.
- Surface the status of critical loan services such as appraisal, title, & homeowners insurance so our borrowers & customer support teams dont have to make phone calls to find this information.
- Speed up our customer support teams workflow by rolling out a work management system so they always know which task they need to complete next.
- 5+ years experience in product management.
- Process thinking. You can analyze a complex process & find ways to simplify it.
- Technical proficiency. You are a trusted partner of engineers. Communicating about technical topics is your forte & you are willing to analyze data & assist with technical trade-offs when needed.
- Easy to work with. You understand the perspectives of our users, our customer support team, our operations team, & our design team, & you consider these viewpoints when creating product solutions.
- Ability to get up to speed fast. You're curious about how underwriting, home appraisals, title insurance, credit checks, regulatory disclosures, & closing work. You're willing to do research & interview our operations team so you can become an expert on the mortgage loan process.
- Excitement for Betters mission to improve access to home finance, & to use a thoughtful combination of design, operations, & technology to do so.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news & trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you dont get excited about homeownership, mortgages, & real estate, it simply wont work.
- Smarts: book & street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy & Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you dont understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking & talking to figure this stuff out, but you cant wait to leave the conversation & build it.