Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Were looking for a Senior Buyer/Planner & supply chain expert to support our manufacturing & spacecraft engineering groups. This role works across the organization to understand the detailed needs of our internal customers, conducts comprehensive supplier analysis in order to recommend solutions & implements optimized sourcing & commodity strategies.
This role will require working from our San Francisco office a few a days a week, & may occasionally require long hours & weekends.
Impact Youll Own:
- Analyzing & monitoring all subcontractor & supplier spend, market prices, & trends & developing overall supplier negotiation & engagement strategies
- Execute & manage the entire purchase order process, including issuing POs, expediting orders to timely delivery, & resolving invoice & purchasing accounting issues as they arise
- Managing supplier relationships including supplier selection, day-to-day communications, & issue resolution & supplier quality, & identifying & proposing best value suppliers to the engineering team based on interpretation of requested parts/blueprints
- Owning MRP, supply chain readiness, supplier quality, & BOM cost associated with Engineering & Production builds, & proactively providing updates & reports to Planets management & engineering team on all critical supply issues
- Ensuring continuity of supply & leading escalation meetings with suppliers for parts shortages, quality issues, & recovery plans
- Leading & driving supplier concurrent engineering reviews
- Driving cost value engineering projects to reduce spending
- Placing quick turnaround purchase orders for Development parts
- Analyzing procurement data & reporting metrics
What You Bring:
- 7 years of experience in Purchasing and/or Supplier Management
- Experience with forecasting, budgets, ROI, TCO, & cost analysis
- Experience with mechanical & electrical PCBA, & an ability to read mechanical drawings & schematics
- An understanding of the world of NPI, where fast-paced R&D & rapid iteration meets world-class manufacturing & testing
- Experience with NetSuite ERP/MRP or similar tools
- Experience networking within the domestic PCBA, Machined Parts manufacturing community
- Experience segmenting in the consumer electronic supply base
- Project management & contract negotiation experience
- Strong analytical, organizational, & problem-solving skills
- Effective written, verbal, & presentation communication skills
- Ability to learn, prioritize, & respond quickly to a fast-moving & ever-changing environment
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.