BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
BuzzFeed News is seeking an early-career reporter who is eager to join a fast-paced, dynamic breaking news team that covers a wide range of topics, including hard news, internet culture, entertainment, & more essentially the biggest stories of any given day.
This is a remote fellowship position it runs nine months, is paid at $20 an hour for a 40-hour workweek, & includes health benefits & paid time off. This role will report to our Breaking news team in Los Angeles, & while the fellow doesnt have to live there, the hours will be geared toward the West Coast.
Were looking for someone who can take on a wide range of daily assignments & also be comfortable pitching story ideas or angles related to the current news cycle. This means on any given day you could be asked to react to a natural disaster, sort out how to explain the latest COVID-19 news, dig up court documents, interview the people at the center of a viral story, or get to the bottom of the latest social media phenomenon. You should be able to file clear & accurate copy.
Well help you develop your reporting, writing, & pitching skills & can introduce you to members of the newsroom who are reporting & editing on topics you are interested in learning more about.
- Write at least one story a day based on either your own pitch or an editors assignment
- Scour the internet & a variety of sources each day to find current story pitches for editors
- Vigorously report stories & methodically fact-check every draft
- Be ready to dive into various assignments & ask for guidance when you need it.
- Be collaborative with other reporters & editors
- Some experience reporting for a news outlet or freelance clips
- Fluency in internet culture, what people are talking about, & how to avoid misinformation
- A comfort level calling & messaging a wide variety of sources from officials to people who are not public figures
- Ability to collaborate across teams & take direction from editors
- A hunger to learn new skills & beat the competition, either by being first or the most definitive
- An excitement for how to bring whatever breaks through in the news cycle each day to our readers in a shareable, meaningful way
Please apply with a rsum, your social media handles, & a brief quick cover letter that tells us more about you, your work, & why youd be good for the job. Even if you're not studying journalism or you've never been published but it's a road you're curious about, & you think you could shine in this job you should apply. Not everyone has the same path to this career & industry, & that's why we really do read every single application.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package
- Plenty of snacks (healthy & indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.