Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Team:
The Business Development team is responsible for developing technology partnerships & programs that extend the reach of Planets products & new markets (new geographies, verticals & use cases). The global BD team works cross-functionally, collaborating very closely with Product, Marketing, Sales, Legal, Finance & other teams to develop & operationalize new partnerships & markets. Business Development is focused on key initiatives that will accelerate Planets growth & market position by creating new avenues to expand our customer & user communities.
About the Role:
As a Business Development Associate you will report to the VP of Business Development & work with BD Directors on a variety of high-profile & high-impact projects. Your projects & responsibilities will include elements of strategy, sales, project management & execution like:
- Conducting due diligence & research on new partnerships or markets
- Supporting development & launch of new technology partnerships
- Researching new use cases & applications of Planet & partner solutions
- Managing project timelines & working cross-functionally to meet deadlines & operationalize new initiatives
- Working closely with Directors on annual partner planning & quarterly partner business reviews
- Preparing for & attending external meetings with new customers & partners
- Attending conferences & regional events key for building new business
Impact Youll Own:
- Building key relationships that increase impact of Planets technology
- Developing programs that enable Planets growth into new user communities
What You Bring:
- Bachelors Degree is required
- 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Strong project & time management skills with an attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving, analytical skills & business judgment
- A blend of high energy, flexibility & team orientation with a direct, honest, & respectful approach to problem solving, & an ability to work both collaboratively & independently in a high-growth, start-up culture
- Outstanding executive communication (speaking & writing), interpersonal, & organizational skills
- The candidate demonstrates the ability to think strategically about business, product, & technical challenges, convey compelling data-driven decisions, & work collaboratively to build consensus. A keen sense of ownership, drive, & scrappiness is a must, as is the ability to leverage & motivate Planets global organization to achieve results.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays & regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment & flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks & meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection & mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.