Peloton is seeking a Director, User Research to support the innovation, iteration, & optimization of our Bike, Tread, & Digital apps.
This role is the first of its kind at Peloton. It will lead the Product Design User Research team responsible for all user research across Product, focusing on software but covering research on hardware design, content innovation, & long-term product strategy.
This role is responsible for planning, recruiting, managing, & leading User Research roles on the team, which is currently 5 persons (including 1 Research Coordinator) & has plans to grow significantly in the next 12 months. The User Research team today is highly self-managed, motivated, & organized were seeking a team leader to scale & develop this team, bringing it to the next level.
This role will work directly with UX & UI Designers, Product Managers, Hardware Industrial Designers, & Content Producers & will collaborate closely with leadership roles within Product Design & across the wider Product, Engineering, Hardware, & Content teams.
This role sits on the Peloton Product Design & UX team & reports directly to the VP of Product Design & UX.
- Lead the Product Design User Research team at Peloton.
- The teams research purview extends across all of Pelotons engagement Products: Peloton Bike, Tread, App (TV, iOS, Android, Web), Studio (User & Instructor apps), & Content Management tools as well as any future software & hardware products & experiences we may build.
- The team completes research covering problem exploration, understanding Member needs & goals, concept testing, software feature user testing, human factors & ergonomics, content experience, & more extending beyond software design & answering tactical & strategic questions - from usability to where we should be investing.
- The team completes research using a variety of methodologies, including both moderated & unmoderated in-person & remote testing, human factors evaluations, concept testing, surveying, video diaries & photo ethnographies, cognitive walkthroughs, contextual inquiries, focus groups, et. al.
- The team primarily completes research with existing Members, but also prospective Members at times. The team also occasionally leads research to understand users across Pelotons international markets.
- The team receives research requests from UI & UX designers & Product Managers, primarily but also Content Producers, Industrial Designers, Engineering & various Product leadership stakeholders.
- Provide mentorship & help develop individuals on the User Research team.
- Understand the unique personalities, goals, & working styles of each team member & adapt your management style to match.
- Develop a plan for career pathing & development for team members.
- Support team members & ensure they are happy & engaged at Peloton.
- Work to unblock User Research team members & provide support in removing impediments & distractions.
- Give feedback to team members at various project stages (test plan, research execution, moderation, analysis, presentation, etc.) to improve the output, efficiency, & quality of their research execution & deliverables.
- Advance the User Research teams ability to effectively communicate research insights in ways that makes them easily accessible & actionable by various stakeholders, such as through visual information design.
- Shepard & support User Researchers on larger and/or higher profile research projects as needed. While not responsible for executing research, the small team may need you to jump in & get hands on occasionally.
- Work alongside the Product & Design teams to create strategic frameworks, personas, & other foundational materials that help guide teams through the design process.
- Work with VP of Product Design & UX & other Product leadership to build a 5-year vision of the User Research team.
- What are the long term goals & roadmap of Peloton & where (at a high level) will research be needed?
- What does the User Research team cover (vs. other related teams)?
- What is the role of the User Research team within the wider organization?
- Build a world class User Research team & scale the group 2x-4x in the next 24 months.
- Work with Recruiting to source, qualify, & hire the best User Researchers & Coordinators.
- Onboard new employees to the teams culture & processes.
- Plan the long & short-term quantity & mix of roles & levels on the team.
- Strategize allocation of headcount to match Pelotons research needs & product development strategy.
- Develop headcount budget.
- Shape & nurture the teams culture by bringing on the right persons.
- Develop the User Research teams brand in & outside of Peloton.
- Develop strategies & standards for communicating updates on the User Research teams work & achievements on a regular basis.
- Drive team communication around our focus, how to engage with the Research team, & the value of conducting User Research.
- Act as a thought leader in User Research & build the reputation of Peloton as an organization committed to the practice.
- Understand the full picture of all User Research asks to develop a forward looking, prioritized 3-6 month plan in collaboration with Product Design Ops.
- Support the development of a User Research roadmap that parallels the Product Roadmap.
- Continuously intake new User Research projects & understand the upcoming pipeline.
- Suggest & evangelize Research initiatives that the Research team deems critical that are not otherwise prioritized.
- Provide a high level size, scope, & potential methodology of upcoming research projects to aid in high level planning & allocation (with an understanding that individual researchers will provide more detailed plans following allocation.)
- Help ensure proposed projects truly need research & that they are an efficient use of team resources ask the right questions, request more definition, & suggest better times to do research when appropriate.
- Break larger initiatives into phased approaches & organize Research milestones & sub-prioritization teams.
- Link similar research projects for efficiency in allocation & efficiency.
- Handle changes to prioritization that require roadmap updates.
- Establish priorities for the User Research team based on stakeholder input, research effort, & research value.
- Allocate User Researcher resources from your understanding on previous projects & team member skill sets & affinities.
- Discuss proposed high-level Research plan & roadmap with stakeholders to get buy-in.
- Institute new User Research methodologies.
- Attempt to build User Research toolkit including interviews, surveys, usability testing, concept studies, ethnographic studies, etc.
- Quickly understand that there is no toolkit (and one size does not fit all) for all the individual, unique research challenges we face at Peloton.
- Observe methodologies that successfully serve trends in User Research asks & support Pelotons evolving research needs; work with User Researchers to standardize & systematize these methodologies where possible.
- Evolve Pelotons User Research processes & tools.
- Leverage tools (for remote user testing, surveying, recruiting coordination, etc.) to add efficiency to regular processes.
- Work with Researchers, Coordinators, & Design Ops to optimize Research processes (intake, analysis, meetings, etc.)
- Solidify our User Research vendor relationships.
- Manage relationships with Research stakeholders at Peloton & under their unique needs.
- Our stakeholders for User Research extend beyond the Product Design team.
- Includes Product Management, Engineering, Content, ID/Hardware, & Leadership teams.
- Build a relationship with these groups: understand the unique Research questions & working styles of each stakeholder group & develop processes to support their needs.
- Educate stakeholders on what Research can & cannot accomplish (at a high level & per-ask).
- Develop & communicate guidelines & best practices for Stakeholders to request research & work with the User Research team.
- Collaborate with other research & analysis teams at Peloton to answer product & design questions.
- Including Product analytics, Strategy & Consumer Insights, etc.
- Understand where we overlap vs. where we can carve out areas of ownership.
- Own the budget for the User Research team.
- Project & allocate funds for User Research based on the long-term Research roadmap & team size.
- Develop frameworks to determine the appropriate budget for each User Research project & ensure we are using funds in the right ways.
- Approve larger and/or unique User Research projects & initiatives & allocate budget towards the development of the Research lab & other tools & spaces that support the team.
- Comfortable juggling a wide range of responsibilities at the same time.
- Has a collaborative, low-ego approach to working with others.
- Has a user-centered approach to product design.
- Process driven, but flexible to unique scenarios, projects, & personnel.
- Continually looking to optimize & improve research output.
- Balances direction with empowerment.
- Can lead team members with a variety of working styles
- Quickly adapts to unexpected changes in scale, priorities, & pace.
- Understands the overall strategy & roadmap & links it to research team planning & management.
- Can communicate the big picture of research plans & findings to stakeholders
- Thrives in uncertainty & can excel in the first of the role environment; self-starter.
- Experienced in planning, building, mentoring, & developing a research team.
- Experienced with a variety of research methodologies, including quantitative & qualitative.
- Experience working with Hardware (physical products) & Human Factors.
- Experienced in working with product designers, engineers & product managers to drive strategy, vision, & execution.
- Experienced in attracting & hiring research talent.
- Experienced in collaborating with leaders of other product development groups.
- 8+ years of experience in User Research including:
- Recent experience in a product development setting within a consumer tech & software company.
- 4+ years managing a User Research team with 3 or more direct reports.
- A portfolio of relevant research work, executed either by yourself or a team that you led, that conveys an ability to drive research programs that have a lasting, positive impact on product & design decisions.
- Bonus Qualifications
- Experience managing a research team that completed projects on:
- Integrated hardware/software consumer products.
- Content/mediabased products
- Localized products across international markets.
- Ph.D. or Masters degree in Human Factors, HCI, Psychology, Sociology, Cognitive Science, Research & Strategy, Anthropology or related field.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy & benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience & comfort of home. We use technology & design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, & Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks & challenging the status quo by continuously innovating & improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, & we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses & retail showrooms in the US, UK & Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 & Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.