Company Description|Job Description
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable & secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, & economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure & reliable payments around the world, & is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, & fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network & scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, & be part of an inclusive & diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators & risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, & doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy & digital commerce to millions of unbanked & underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
As Counsel, you will be a member of the Visa's Legal Department in the Client Management group in North America. You will be responsible for providing lead, day-to-day legal support to account executives & other internal clients in Visa's Financial Institution Sales & Merchant Sales & Solutions teams in North America, with a particular focus on the drafting & negotiation of merchant & acquirer routing incentive agreements.
Primary responsibilities include (i) independently drafting & negotiating complex business transactions including acquirer processor & merchant debit routing agreements, with a particular focus on those that incentivize the use of the Visa Direct product, as well as issuer-side strategic alliance/brand incentive agreements (including Visa Growth Agreements) & other general corporate/services agreements with external Visa clients; (ii) extensive business dealings with Visa's external member client base including member financial institutions (i.e., issuers & acquirers), merchants, processors, third party program managers & other Visa System participants, (iii) drafting, updating & on-going responsibility for managing certain Visa incentive agreement templates to allow for a more efficient contract administration process, & (iv) providing day-to-day legal support & guidance to the Visa Direct sales account team & other account executives responsible for managing client relationships in North America. Will work closely with Visa's incentive contract administration group (CCM) & other support functions.
Required Education: J.D. with strong academic credentials & admitted to California Bar.
- Preferred Years Experience: 5-8 years; experience in top law firm and/or in-house environments.
- Background & knowledge of some or all of the following is preferred: the payment services industry & related credit & debit processing industries, banking & financial institutions laws & regulations, and/or antitrust & competition law.
- Experience drafting, negotiating and/or litigating complex commercial transactions, with superior analytical, problem-solving & writing skills.
- Strong people skills with proven ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management & to work on cross functional teams on complex deals & initiatives.
- Versatility & ability to prioritize & handle a large number of matters & to work effectively & collegially on a small legal team with a significant workload.
- Motivated self-starter with ability to work independently
- First-rate writing, drafting & oral advocacy skills are critical.
- Applicants are requested, but not required, to provide a deal sheet along with their resumes.
- Varies upon the needs of the department
- This position requires travel5-10% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit & stand at a desk, communicate in person & by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones & computers, reach with hands & arms, & bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.