As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Consumer Products team sits within the broader Product Team & is responsible for the customer touchpoints that pertain to our subscription products, contributions & commerce experiences. This role will work across Vox Media properties with a focus on New York Magazine.
The Product team analyzes & creates the platforms that connect Vox Media & New York Magazines content with our audiences. Were adept, curious problem-solvers who transform creative ideas into successful products. Great design & user experience are essential to our ability to connect with our readers, & the Product Design team plays an important role in what we create, ensuring that our products are engaging, useful, & beautiful.
What youll do:
- Collaborate on projects spanning a broad range including site-wide responsive template designs, subscription & promotional messaging systems & commerce experiences.
- Work through design problems from beginning to end: translate research insights into ideas that form dynamic new products & features, sketch & prototype these ideas to quickly assess viability, & then design detailed interaction behaviors.
- Create & iterate on design projects across the entire product life cycle & multiple product launches.
- Evaluate the success of existing products & features, & develop designs to support business objectives.
- Act as an advocate for the user, reader, viewer or customer in support of those business objectives.
- Maintain other responsibilities as needed.
What youll bring
- 4-6 years of visual/product design experience, preferably in digital media. Editorial experience is a plus.
- Degree in Visual Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Motion, Fine Art, Architecture, or a related field of study (or work experience in lieu of degree).
- Excellent typography knowledge & skills, experience with complex typographical systems & hierarchies
- Ability to create design systems that are scalable.
- Enthusiasm & awareness of the design legacy & history of New York Magazine & its digital properties.
- Strong visual awareness & sensibility, & the ability to translate brand identities from one platform to another
- Knowledge of illustration, photography, art, image making.
- UX, UI, research, storytelling & design process & portfolio which showcases projects from beginning to end.
- Communication skills to help set up frameworks & brainstorm initial design concepts.
- Respect when challenging assumptions; giving & receiving feedback with equal grace.
- Ability to work autonomously & oversee your design from beginning to end, but also equally comfortable in a collaborative environment, & willing to work with other team members when necessary.
- A people-focused design mentality.
- Excellent knowledge of the technologies used to build modern digital experiences.
- Well-rounded understanding of information architecture.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.