Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Satellite derived products like soil moisture, land surface temperature, & biomass are important building blocks to support food security & water safety. They bring the levels of transparency & drive a culture of data-driven decision making & accountability. Within Planet, we are focused on researching, developing, & applying core technologies to build these products using a range of satellite observations. For example, soil moisture & biomass are now used in the agricultural sector to both support sustainability & yield optimization. The design & management of satellite derived products is directly in line with the mission of Planet to make the daily satellite observations of Earth accessible & actionable. We are looking for a Science Lead in the Biomass team to further develop & manage one of our building blocks. The biomass is a product relying on several scientifically complex processes such as radar vegetation index extraction, spatio-temporal fusing & field delineation.
Impact Youll Own:
- Responsible for the technical product roadmap
- Actively participate in product design & algorithm development
- Inspect & evaluate the quality of the product
- Interdisciplinary knowledge exchange between other science leads & product managers
- Bridge between technical feasibility & customer requirements
What You Bring:
- In depth knowledge of earth observation technology & modeling
- High level of Python skills & Linux command line
- Management skills to lead a team of technical people
- Familiarity with GIS desktop software (QGIS or ArcGIS) & GeoJSON, COG, & STAC standards
- Academic degree in Earth Observation or Physics
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Hands-on experience with earth observation data from multiple sources including VNIR, TIR, SAR and/or passive microwaves.
- Proven scientific track record in algorithm/product development
- Advanced skills in spatial statistical analysis
- Deep understanding of surface biophysical models
- Experience with earth observation users outside the academic arena
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays & regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing safe & empowering spaces for connection & mentorship
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Company Holidays
- Enjoy our monumental office in the historical center of Haarlem a city well located near the beach, & Amsterdam
- Employees well-being is our top priority: joint employee activities, snacks, fruits, & drinks
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.