Cadre is seeking an experienced & innovative Senior Legal Associate who is excited to be a crucial part of the legal team at an industry-changing FinTech firm. The role requires not only a strong understanding of the core legal principles underpinning corporate transactions & governance, but also an understanding of business operations, strategy & process. We are looking for a team member who can thrive in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment where innovation & creativity are critical components to success.
In this role, youll work in close collaboration with company leadership, seasoned investment pros, finance & operations professionals, software engineers, data scientists, external operating partners, & external counsel. You have significant experience in all legal aspects of complex transactions where strategy, efficiency & consistency are essential. This full-time role will work very closely with & report directly to Cadres General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer.
What Youll Do:
- Provide support & advice to Cadres business team on legal matters & risk management as a part of the dealmaking process where business sense will be as important as legal acumen
- Participate in cutting-edge investment team initiatives by providing real-time advice, suggestions, & recommendations on new business products & systems
- Identify & manage various corporate, legal, & regulatory issues associated with transactions, including those related to the expansion of Cadres business model.
- Provide well-reasoned legal advice & act as an escalation point day-to-day for the general counsel & business team to find solutions to manage investment fund, secondary market, & other transactional matters (appropriately balancing Cadres commercial & reputational requirements)
- Prepare, review, & negotiate a wide variety of commercial contracts & agreements (primarily real estate & investment fund related), including fund documents, joint venture agreements, purchase & sale agreements, sponsor agreements, & loan documents
- Manage external counsel to ensure high-quality, commercial, & cost effective legal advice
- Work closely with the legal & business teams in addressing investor questions
- Stay abreast of legal & regulatory developments & potential compliance impacts to inform Cadre strategy & corporate initiatives
What You Have:
- J.D. from top-tier law school
- Member in good standing with the New York State Bar
- 7+ years of real estate and/or private equity experience at a major law firm or corporate in-house legal department
- Experience in regulatory and/or compliance functions, specifically broker-dealer and/or investment advisory, a plus
- Deep knowledge & experience structuring, negotiating & executing real estate private equity investments, including fund formation, LP investor negotiations, fundraising processes & deployment of capital, including entering into real estate joint ventures with operating & development partners
- Experience with private placements under the 33 Act, unregistered funds under the Investment Company Act & have exposure to the 40 Act
- Experience drafting & negotiating real estate business legal documents
- Experience with entity formation & maintaining organizational records
- Exceptional legal & business judgment to effectively identify issues & formulate solutions, often in an unconventional manner
- Ability to manage successfully & prioritize effectively multiple complex matters in fast-paced environment
- Effective oral & written communication & stakeholder management skills
- Ability to take risks & accept failure