Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Manager to join our Tax Accounting team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
The Tax Manager will be responsible for the preparation of the year-end tax provision as well as manage & coordinate the tax return preparation with our outside tax advisors. The Tax Manager is an agile thinker & effective communicator with the ability to manage & prioritize an evolving workload in a fast-paced environment to drive results independently & work collaboratively with the greater cross-functional team. The role requires someone dedicated to the continuous improvement of existing processes, technology solutions & documentation. The ideal candidate will be a team player with a highly analytical mindset, strong work ethic, extreme attention to detail with a desire to provide quality service to internal & external stakeholders & help build a best in class tax function.
In the first four months:
- Transition review of all premium tax filings with our Outside tax advisors
- Review the 2019 Provision to get familiarity & assist in reviewing the 2019 RTP
- Review the MAR narrative & controls for year end provide any changes & prepare draft support for year end
- Assist with various tax related projects including 382M
On & ongoing basis your role is responsible for:
Income Tax Compliance
- Complete the preparation & review of U.S. federal, state & local income tax returns for: (i) corporate holding company & (ii) insurance subsidiaries.
- Ensure accurate & timely filing/remittance of all tax returns, extensions & estimate payments.
- Investigate & resolve tax notices received.
Quarterly & Year-end Close
- Complete the year-end tax provision process, including tax-related financial statement disclosures.
- Prepare quarterly valuation allowance analysis, working closing with the FP&A team.
- Computation of non-GAAP effective tax rate.
- Responsible for monthly tax journal entries & reconciliation of all tax accounts.
- Develop & strengthen tax-related internal controls under MAR. Ensure controls are operating effectively
- Remain current on new tax legislation & tax accounting rules. Identify, assess & document the tax implications of any such changes.
- Run the compliance filing & investigation of tax credits & tax savings opportunities.
- Support other departments with entity related matters (e.g., business licenses, clearance letters, etc.).
- Develop and/or strengthen existing policies & procedures. Drive process improvement.
- Prepare reports/analyses & participate in other projects as needed.
- 5-7 years of experience, including a combination of a large accounting firm & public/private accounting experience
- BA/BS degree in accounting or related field
- Proven experience with Federal tax provisions for US based Insurance Companies
We think it will make a big (positive) difference if you have:
- Experience working at a startup
- Worked with our other current platforms: Concur, Tipalti, Adaptive, BigQuery, Netsuite
- SALT experience with US based insurance companies
- Familiarity with employment tax issues
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.