Samsaras network of hardware devices is a scalable cloud-connected sensor platform that continually collects & stores observations about the world in near real-time. These sensors are the building blocks on top of which Samsara builds specific solutions for industries such as commercial fleet management & industrial center monitoring. Through unique integration of sensor data such as GPS, acceleration, temperature, video, & more, we enable our customers to gain greater insights into operations, identify & eliminate inefficiencies, & react to alerts all in near real-time.
The ideal candidate for engineering director has a successful background as an engineer, but also understands the value of team culture, communication, & collaboration. This position is based in our London HQ.
As an engineering director, you will lead a team of up to 25 engineers on the full-stack team.
- Establishing team goals, metrics & roadmaps
- Coaching & Mentoring managers & technical leads
- Conducting regular 1-1s & performance evaluations
- Defining team roles & processes to help the team scale
- Recruiting, hiring, & building teams to keep up with demand of growing company
- Working with Product Management to prioritize feature & new product development
- Fostering a culture of continuous improvement through blameless postmortems
- And still coding on occasion to keep your sanity
At Samsara, we value aligning small teams with customer use cases & giving the independence needed to quickly deliver impactful solutions. Software engineers on the full-stack team will work on designing & developing features for our web platform. This involves working on our backend log-processing & data analytics systems, as well as building out new user interfaces. Full-stack will tackle engineering challenges ranging from aggregating data from thousands of devices & sensors to presenting the data in intuitive ways that provide actionable insights for our customers operations.
We use Golang for our backend, Typescript & React for our web client, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, & React Native for our mobile app. Direct experience with these technologies is not required.
An ideal candidate:
- Has a successful history as an individual contributor software developer
- Has experience delivering software, leading teams, & managing engineers
- Has interest in understanding our users & what would make their day to day processes easier to manage
- Has excellent written & verbal technical communication skills
- Loves shipping features that are immediately used by our customers
- Seeks to establish a culture of continuous improvement
If you are excited by the idea of working at a fast growing company, being constantly challenged by & learning from high-caliber engineers, owning & shaping full-stack processes & ultimately growing a world-class engineering team, wed love to have you join our team!
At Samsara, we welcome all.
All sizes, colours, cultures, sexes, beliefs, religions, ages, people. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team & ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.