Who We Are:
At Convene, we're building a company that embraces visible & invisible diversity, encourages healthy integration of personal goals & professional development, & fosters community. Our team's evolution, values & culture have been at the forefront of what we do since our founding. With the meetings & office market growing rapidly & showing no signs of stopping, we are constantly evolving & growing our offerings from hosting meetings & events to providing a full suite of offerings for flexible co-working spaces.
Who You Are:
The Convene legal team is looking for a motivated corporate generalist to report directly to the Vice President, Legal. This role provides legal guidance to internal clients at all levels in the company, negotiates commercial transactions with third parties & ensures global compliance with a number of laws & regulations. The ideal candidate will have strong contract drafting skills & be business savvy with a firm grasp of both legal & financial concepts. This is a position that is perfect for a highly qualified lawyer looking to transition to an in-house opportunity with high growth potential.
The legal team at Convene is a small but growing team that acts as a trusted, strategic advisor to senior leadership & provides support for all aspects of the companys expansion. As one of its first hires, you will play an integral role in developing & expanding the legal function within Convene.
What Youll Do:
Collaborate in the continuing development of Convenes client contracts workflows to develop a scalable, business-centric approach to commercial agreements
- Build legal policies, processes & resources for legal review & approval.
- Draft, negotiate, & administer various client contracts for all of our internal business lines, including Workspace, Meetings, & Landlord Solutions & Technology, including new forms for any new business lines.
- Draft, maintain & update form agreements for all business lines & maintain contract management system.
- Counsel & educate teams on contract terms, negotiation best practices, commercial implications & legal risks.
Be a legal advisor to teams at Convene, including the business development, finance, marketing, managed services & community teams.
- Work with cross-functional teams to identify risks & provide strategic, practical & creative legal & business advice.
- Draft & negotiate a variety of commercial contracts including SAAS, licenses, strategic partnerships, & vendor contracts.
- Develop & maintain expert current knowledge on new developments & legal guidance relevant to our business.
Work with VP, Legal to provide multi-disciplinary legal advice on a variety of topics as may arise from time to time, including, but not limited to:
- Liquor licensing
- Worldwide legal compliance relating to data privacy & GDPR
- Developing new corporate policies, processes, & contract templates; improving upon those currently in place; & educating the team on each of the foregoing.
- Advising on intellectual property matters, including copyrights & trademarks
- Assisting with M&A & investment/securities matters, as needed.
What We Look For:
- 3 to 5+ years of relevant legal experience, including law firm experience.
- Contract drafting & negotiation skills.
- Member of the NY Bar in good standing.
- D. Degree from an ABA accredited law school (or L.L.M. with U.S. law firm experience).
- Extremely strong organizational skills & the ability to manage competing priorities under deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral & written communication skills.
- Patience & demonstrated ability to distill legal concepts & communicate effectively with a non-legal audience required.
At Convene, were changing the way the world works by transforming the way businesses work. By partnering with the largest landlords in commercial real estate, we design & service the next generation office building one that feels more like a full-service, lifestyle hotel. Our integrated workplace-as-a-service platform gives building tenants & enterprise clients access to a growing network of premium meeting & event spaces, flexible workspaces, hospitality services, & curated experiences for users, all connected by Convenes proprietary technology platform.
- Founded in 2009
- Locations in New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., & Los Angeles; Opening in Chicago in 2018 & plans to expand globally
- Launched Convene Workplace in 2017
- Ranked #11 Workplace in New York in 2017 by Fortune Magazine
- Ranked #30 in 2017 LinkedIn Annual List of Industry Disruptors
- 2018 Great Places to Work US
- 2018 Fortune Magazine Best Workplaces NY
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: we believe our values drive behaviors to create culture. Together were building a culture that embraces diversity & learning, humility & gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously & strive for a healthy integration between work & personal pursuits.
Benefits You Can Expect as A Convene Employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO & family leave
- Generous professional development policy that includes funds earmarked for each employee's discretionary professional growthHave a conference you want to attend? A class you want to take? If it's helping take your career to the next level, we support it. Each employee is required to have 65 hours of learning per year
- Excellent health coverage for team members & their families
- Supportive work environment & a leader who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions & hobbies
- Healthy snacks
Convene is committed to building an inclusive & diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer & welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities & perspectives.