Were launching a 3 to 6 month fellowship for full-time Ph.D. students. As a recipient, you will have the opportunity to work on a project involving diverse, national nonprofits & global NGOs that are dedicated to fostering human development, empowerment & assistance/aid, such as the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, CARE USA, Mercy Corps, & others. You will be able to work on a project that influences & shapes products used directly by first responders (e.g., NYC Emergency Management) who require real-time information & context on breaking events, so that they can mobilize & respond quickly. And youll be able to work on projects that support humanitarian assistance being delivered in diverse settings & locations worldwide.
Who We Are:
We are Dataminr. We deliver real-time, actionable alerts that are derived from vast amounts of publicly available information. Our clients are the first to know about high-impact events & critical breaking information, giving them the opportunity to act faster & stay one step ahead when every second counts. We are a mission-driven company committed to the power of real-time information as a force for good in the world.
Our groundbreaking AI & machine learning technology cuts through the noise in an increasingly complex landscape by detecting, classifying, & determining the significance of public information. Headquartered in NYC, Dataminr has revolutionized the way that global news, finance, public sector, corporate security & PR/communications professionals know & act on critical, relevant information to protect people, assets & brands.
Along the way, we've grown to over 450 talented employees across six global offices, raised over $570 million from leading venture & growth technology investors, & been referred to as the super tool of journalists & hedge funds. Weve received numerous awards & accolades from our clients, including recognition from CNBC as one of the worlds 50 most disruptive private technology companies in 2016 & joining Forbes definitive list of the top 100 private cloud companies in the world, in 2017 & 2018.
A career at Dataminr offers the ability to make a meaningful impact at a rapidly growing tech company with a startup culture, while being supported by the experience of a company founded in 2009. We value ownership, curiosity & drive on an individual level & live these values every day. We empower everyone to have a voice at the table & regularly invest in professional development. Our culture promotes cross team interaction, work-life balance & the sharing of information & ideas because it enables us to do our best work & have fun.
Who You Are:
You are a full-time Ph.D. student looking for an exciting & rewarding fellowship experience at a mission-driven tech startup in New York City. Your research project will focus specifically on your areas of expertise & you will gain insightful guidance from our team as well as real world application of your work. Take this opportunity to use your expertise & research to enhance Dataminrs position as a force for good in the world!
- 3 to 6 month Fellowship Program in our New York City Headquarters.
- Ability to define & execute a tailored research project to create immediate impact on our growing organization, involving diverse, national nonprofits & global NGOs that are dedicated to fostering human development, empowerment & assistance/aid, such as AIDS Healthcare Foundation, CARE USA, Mercy Corps, & others. Work on crisis management projects, or humanitarian assistance projects.
- Hands on research at a top tier NYC startup working on the hardest problems in AI.
- Competitive pay stipend, & an additional lump sum grant of $10,000.
- Mentorship & professional development opportunities (working directly with the sponsoring executives, scientists, engineers, & other stakeholders).
- Ability to publish the results of the fellowship work in a top-tier academic venue.
- Must be enrolled in a full-time Ph.D. program.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity & inclusion.
- 1 Page (max) Research Proposal, by January 30th, 2019 (earlier applications encouraged) including the following:
- Title of Project
- Motivation. Why is this project important?
- Use: How would the outcomes of the project be used?
- Metrics: How will success of the project be measured?
- Technical Approach: Were not looking for solutions at this stage, but we do want insights into the technical approach youre interested in pursuing.
- Interest: Why are you interested in this fellowship?
- Availability for the fellowship: indicate potential length & start/end dates.
- Technical references (optional): if you include references, you may do so on a separate page.
- Include contact information of the applicants Ph.D. advisor. A reference letter will be required.
- Note that submitting to the fellowship does not preclude applications to our internship program.
- Questions can be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dataminr is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.