Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about solving large scale complex distributed systems challenges.
We are looking for a Software Engineer with expertise in Distributed Systems & Networking to build cutting edge Network Software that will run on tens of thousands of hypervisors & bare-metal servers across our global infrastructure network. Reporting to the Engineering Manager: Network Management & Services, the Software Engineer will be responsible for building the next generation of software-defined networking on our platform: providing flexible, yet simple, primitives that our customers have come to love.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Designing & building highly efficient microservices to enable the next generation of features such as Virtual Private Cloud, Floating IPs & internal tooling around the virtual network stack.
- Building new & advanced infrastructure services that support deployment of millions of customer droplets across multiple datacenters.
- Work on new architecture initiatives to build systems that enable fleet optimization such as optimizing the virtual networking stack to reduce CAPEX / OPEX.
- Solving problems with distributed systems to reduce bottlenecks, single points of failures & inter-dependencies of our many regions.
- Solving complex database challenges that have come into existence due to the hyper growth of DigitalOcean such as - our growing inventory of IP addresses, evolving the data model of our core network primitives, creating flexible & composable virtual nics.
- Coming up with innovative ideas to improve performance & scalability in a large-scale distributed system.
- Diving deep into the ocean of highly available & fault-tolerant virtual networking.
- Debugging/troubleshooting complex production issues across datacenters.
- Participating in a team effort to improve visibility on various network metrics.
- Using technologies & tools such as: Linux, Go, GRPC, Docker, Open vSwitch, Prometheus, MySQL, & others!
What Well Expect From You:
- Expertise with at least two of the following languages: Go, Grpc, Perl, Python, C/C++. Go is definitely a plus.
- Expertise building scalable, resilient & fault tolerant distributed systems using a microservices architecture.
- Knowledge of networking & network layers(especially OSI model layer 3 & above).
- Understanding of flexible & scalable database architecture.
- Ability to self-organize, take ownership, initiative & clearly communicate intent. Ours is a completely remote team so the ability to communicate effectively in a remote environment is key to being a part of this team.
- Be ready & responsible for taking complex challenges that come up in a fast-paced environment.
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning, OReilly tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!