Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that developers love!
DigitalOceans Storage Team is a remote team that builds & operates cloud-scale distributed storage powering internal & customer-facing services & products. Were creating flexible & powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly, easily, & safely as possible.
The Storage Platforms Team focuses on supporting the operations of all Storage teams by providing commodity platforms that unify technology solutions & consolidate & simplify the operational context required to support storage products. This team is responsible for the operations & development of data, messaging, & automation platforms used by DigitalOcean storage products, solving problems of scale & locality for datapath applications. We are looking for a Senior Engineer who will work on a small team to develop & support current & future storage platforms. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Storage team. This position is currently only available remotely.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Supporting the operations & management of distributed systems
- Programming in Go, Python, & other languages
- Collaborating with an agile, self-motivated team of peers
- Consuming from & contributing to free/open source software communities
- Solving interesting problems at cloudscale in a technically rewarding environment
What Well Expect From You:
- Experience developing, testing, & shipping well-engineered code (Go, a plus!)
- Experience utilizing automation & orchestration tools such as Ansible, Chef and/or Salt
- Experience deploying & operating container orchestration frameworks like Kubernetes into production bare metal or VM environments
- Experience with CNI plugins, CSI plugins, secret stores, certificate authorities, logging, observability, & other key container orchestration framework integrations
- Experience building operators, controllers, & CRDs
- Experience testing, automating, operating, & troubleshooting production systems
- Experience with Linux operating systems & familiarity with networking fundamentals
- Experience contributing meaningfully to discussions on architectures, implementations, design patterns, & processes with the ability to succinctly convey ideas to peers & mentees
- Familiarity with BGP, DNS, AnyCast, Layer 4 & Layer 7 load balancing, HTTP & RPC
- Familiarity with the specific use cases & operational concerns of multiple classes of data stores such as relational databases, key-value stores, timeseries, full-text search engine, & message queues (Specific experience with ETCD, MySQL, TimescaleDB, Prometheus, Kafka, Elasticsearch, & Consul a plus!)
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!