About The Dodo:
The Dodo is the leading digital media brand for animal people & the #1 animal brand on Facebook. Were committed to creating fun, entertaining, emotional animal-related content everything from cute viral videos to heartwarming rescue stories & meaningful advocacy pieces. Our audience is everyone who loves animals, from people who are obsessed with their pets all the way to people dedicating their lives to making the world a better place for animals. We are looking for passionate, proactive, flexible people who are interested in helping build a brand that not only entertains but makes people around the world feel connected to animals.
The Dodo is seeking a creative & experienced visual storyteller to join our video team. To thrive in this role, youll need to excel at sourcing & crafting an emotionally compelling narrative that hooks viewers immediately & keeps them watching until the very end. Youll feel comfortable producing a mid- or longer-form social video from start to finish from sourcing content online, conducting interviews & requesting extra footage, to scripting & structuring a memorable, emotional story. Were looking for editors who can spot an emotional piece of found footage & use it as a building block to produce a midform video with visual arc, using shot lists & giving direction to the uploader to acquire every piece of footage needed to make the story complete.
The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, & be nimble & eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. A passion for finding clips that are emotional/visual gold & a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on social media are key. Attention to detail, great people skills, persistence in gathering every part of the story, & the ability to manage multiple ambitious projects at once are needed to create videos that are consistently special & highly sharable.We are open to extremely committed recent grads.
- Source compelling stories about animals by mining social media, building relationships, putting together shot lists & communicating with uploaders to obtain engaging footage
- Find the Dodo angle that makes stories sharable through conducting interviews & crafting an original narrative with the emotional kernel in mind
- Use video editing techniques & rigorous storytelling to create about five midform videos per month that exemplify the Dodo voice & brand
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection/sourcing & editing techniques, working closely with other editors on the team
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative video (please provide clips)
- A drive to put together a complete story start to finish, including working closely with sources & producing parts of the story
- Basic After Effects a plus
- Desire to work for a growing company & a love of animals
- Extremely creative, organized & dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Able to work independently & also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand & a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
About Group Nine:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies & the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] & reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) & Seeker (the digital leader in science & curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion & Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, & much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employerand is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.