BuzzFeed is looking for a personal finance editor for a full-time, 3 month contract position on our US team (with possibility to extend after 3 months). As part of a new editorial endeavor, they'll lead BuzzFeeds expansion into the personal finance space by developing service-oriented & entertaining content for a largely millennial & Gen Z audience.
You are an experienced & conversational writer & editor with skill in personal financerelated content. They will help our audience understand money matters, big & small, making complex (and lets face it, often dry) financial topics simple, accessible, & entertaining. Theyll pioneer fun & informative formats, from thoughtful explainers about credit scores & 401Ks to (actually useful) savings tips & financial product reviews to relatable personal stories, & more. If you're the type of person who could whip up a budget in their sleep, knows how to hack their way around the credit card points system, & isnt afraid to have a frank conversation about money with friends, we'd love to hear from you! Bonus points for anyone with experience managing a small team of freelancers and/or writing affiliate posts.
- Lead the strategy for BuzzFeeds personal finance content.
- Have an understanding of the broader finance industry & the challenges facing millennials & Gen Z.
- Research financial topics & products in different categories & that are of interest to the diverse BuzzFeed audience.
- Write, edit, & commission shareable, helpful, relatable, entertaining, & SEO-friendly personal financial posts
- Develop innovative editorial formats, series, & projects
- Work with audience development team to identify & grow new audiences
- Analyze your posts' site traffic & affiliate analytics (if applicable).
- Manage a small freelance network
- Previous experience editing & writing for a magazine or website, or exemplary blogging/writing experience about personal finance
- Strong attention to detail
- Flawless spelling, grammar, & usage in your writing
- Empathy, & the ability to produce relatable & accessible finance content for people from all backgrounds & financial situations.
- Genuine love for the internet & finance-related matters
- Experience with the BuzzFeed audience & voice
- Previous experience writing finance affiliate content & a network of freelance writers with expertise in personal finance a big plus
FYI just because you dont have a college degree or meet every requirement doesnt mean we dont want to hear from you. If you think youd be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
- In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
- Discuss your personal finance habits (for example: how do you set a savings goal & stick to it, what ~budgeting hack~ do you use that most people dont know about, etc.).
- Tell us about a couple of personal finance tools or resources that youre passionate about.
- Whats the best piece of money advice youve ever been given?
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy & indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.