Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, & adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors & phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices & products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether youre watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking todays forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location & maps within those apps. Were changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
What We Do
Mapbox gathers anonymized data from over 700 million monthly active users to create a living map of the world. The Mapbox Roads team uses machine learning to extract meaningful information from these raw datasets - GPS data, aerial & satellite imagery, & image detections from our Vision SDK. We create the worlds highest-quality & most up-to-date routing map & power Mapboxs solutions for automotive, logistics, & routing.
What You'll Do
We're looking for a Product Manager to partner with a passionate group of engineers & a wide variety of customers & internal stakeholders. You'll drive key product decisions, manage customer priorities, lead customer conversations, & launch new features.
We're looking for motivated, data-driven thinkers who are fascinated by what our customers need & where they & the team are getting stuck. You like to experiment, but love finishing projects even more. You know how to communicate, collaborate, & think about software as a collective effort. You have strong opinions, loosely held. You keep an open mind & welcome debates that surface multiple perspectives. Once a decision is made, you put your personal preferences aside & commit & execute together. In this role, you can expect to:
- Define the near & long-term strategy for the team, & socialize it with stakeholders.
- Translate strategy into a tactical execution plan.
- Set KPIs & other metrics for measuring success of our products. Pull these metrics, analyze results, & synthesize learnings to support continuous data improvement.
- Regularly engage our customers via video conversations, emails, & in person visits to understand their needs, as well as validate our proposed solutions.
- Build strategic relationships across the wider data landscape: data partners, vendors, & consumers. Own the strategy for Mapbox data partners, & see some of these partnerships through to completion
- Streamline stakeholder communications from start to end of a project. In addition to our customers, you can expect to work closely with Engineering Managers, Engineers, General Managers, the Support team, Sales team & our TAMs.
- Build up & share product knowledge across teams, contributing to best practices that grow the entire product team within Mapbox.
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, & data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 4+ years of proven product management experience & ability to design & develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, & durable solutions to complex technical & business problems; SaaS, mobility/mapping/GIS, or enterprise experience strongly preferred.
- An analytical approach: you have strong SQL skills & always use data to properly evaluate the success or failure of features, as well as guide your next steps.
- Tolerance for ambiguity & intrinsic motivation: you gravitate towards chaos. You can weed out whats important in highly ambiguous spaces, & juggle a variety of competing priorities. Even so, you are proactive around driving solutions to completion.
- Strong written & vocal communication skills: you can talk & write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience & walk through decisions with teammates & collaborators. We work backwards, which means that we start product development by writing an FAQ. Writing documents early on & clarify how the world will see the product - not just how we think about it internally.
- You have a desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, & discussion.
- Devotion to systematization, repeatability, efficiency, & measurement: processes, data, & nailing the details are key to how we work.
- Empathy & collaboration: you communicate effectively with others & earn credibility quickly. Youre comfortable giving & receiving feedback in the open. You have a desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, & experiences.
- Solid business/strategic intuition: you are able to identify the right business opportunities, make prioritization calls, & devise clear action plans.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position & are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems & opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, & innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching & learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function & the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team & encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, & sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name & contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity