Are you passionate about solving complex problems in availability, scalability, & performance? Do you seek to make an impact on both people & product? At Appian, Managers of Software Development provide not only hands on technical leadership, but also create situations to ignite the professional growth & success of individuals on their teams.As a hands on technical leader you will help us transform our current architecture to cloud native through the amazing Kubernetes platform.As a Manager, you will provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring, coaching, & career development to a group of brilliant software engineers.What is Appian?Its a low-code application platform that lets business people build powerful enterprise web & mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code.
- You have broad technical understanding across multiple technology layers as well as deep technical knowledge of large-scale distributed systems & all things containerization
- You are familiar with the inner workings of Docker containers with Kubernetes
- You are excited by Kubernetes & eager to help us use it to take our product to new heights
- You want to work with other passionate engineers who care about innovation, efficiency, & collaboration
- You care about fostering a culture of learning, growth, & career development for software engineers
- You yourself are a hands on software engineer, comfortable coding up to 50% of the time
- Hands on technical leadership & collaboration to grow & maintain Appians world-class platform through Agile methodologies & tools
- Effectively manage, develop, & guide up to 6 direct reports through mentoring & coaching
- Partner with the Talent Acquisition team to hire great talent & provide input for creating staffing plans with departmental leadership
- Be an agent for change, at both the team & departmental level.
- Performance of HR Management tasks related to each direct report; such as timesheet approval, communication of raises & bonuses, performance reviews, etc.
Preferred Experience Level:7+ years in software development, with 2+ years as a mentor or manager
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree preferred