Squarespace Media Platform team is looking for backend engineers to build the services powering our interactive web & mobile applications. We are looking for a senior software engineer with experience accomplishing complex projects, able to explain coherently what their systems do & what their roles played in those projects. You have experience in large-scale distributed system design, micro-services & cloud solutions; be hands-on with delivering high-quality code; someone who is result oriented but also forward-looking by anticipating long-term needs & building extendable solutions.
If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of projects & carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! You will report to the Media Platform Engineering Manager in our New York City headquarters.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices & provides flexibility for our employees.
- Design systems & components, write server-side code for high-volume production services.
- Manage complex projects & lead project team end-to-end.
- Work with other engineers, designers & product development to provide customer-focused experiences.
- Explore new technologies that are at the forefront of image, audio & video processing, storage & streaming technologies.
- Ensure the reliability of systems to users & businesses powered by Squarespace.
- Contribute to team & company standards.
- Mentor & coaching junior team members.
- Project management & software lifecycle management skills.
- 5+ years industry experience developing software using Java or other OO language. With 1+ year in a leadership capacity.
- Experience developing large-scale distributed systems. Familiar with the behaviors of different transaction control & consistency models.
- Experience with web application (e.g. RESTful API) development.
- Experience with micro-service architecture.
- Understanding of database schema design, caching & scalability. Experience with SQL.
- Work well with peers at different levels in different organizations within the company
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms & system design practices.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the worlds most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespaces team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Free lunch & snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) & pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class