Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format to readers around the country & locally, here in Charlotte. Axios Charlotte, formerly Charlotte Agenda, is hiring an Investigative Fellow!
Why it matters: Youll land daily scoops that build to big investigative reports for our website & daily newsletter on topics that matter for Charlotte readers from affordable housing to the long-term ramifications of the coronavirus pandemic.
Go deeper: The Investigative Fellow will create big stories in a fast-growing, complex city.
- Youll hold the powerful accountable & be a voice for the vulnerable.
- Youll be as comfortable diving through documents as you are sitting with a struggling family or asking tough questions of officials.
- Your stories will reach readers beyond the website & carry over to the Axios Charlotte Instagram account & our newsletter.
- Youll help make Charlotte a more honest, transparent, interesting city, & youll be driven by a desire to make it a better place to live.
Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit & passion for Axios Charlottes mission. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to break stories & go deeper on long-range investigation projects. Ideal candidates will also have the following skills:
- Experience in investigative journalism
- Positive attitude & ability to thrive in high-pressure news environments
- Highly collaborative mindset
- An understanding of how to distribute coverage people care about across all our social handles, but especially Instagram
- Commitment to the Axios mission & Smart Brevity style
- Competitive salary: $70,000-$80,000
- Terms: 18 months of employment through a Knight Foundation grant
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter & cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, & diverse work culture
- Annual learning & development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents & caretakers
- Access to the Axios Family Fund, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Weekly company-sponsored exercise & meditation classes
- Virtual company-sponsored social events