Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
Are you passionate about Virtualization & Linux?
As a software engineer on the Compute team, the software you write will run on tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure network. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO & in the 'wild') easier by building new services to power the hypervisor. This is a unique opportunity to deliver the best hosted infrastructure experience in the industry to millions of developers around the world.
If you are passionate about Linux, Virtualization & low level systems this is the right job for you.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Building the services that build & manage Droplets (our customers very own Virtual Private Servers)
- Working on virtualization at many different levels, from the API & orchestration layers to the hypervisor.
- Building tools & automation that operate at scale.
- Optimizing systems for performance, flexibility, & maintainability
What We'll Expect From You:
- 7+ years of software development experience with Virtualization & Linux
- Deep understanding & knowledge of virtualization (such as libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Namespaces or Containers)
- Significant experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer building software used by 100s, if not 1000s of users
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Python, Perl, C/C++, Java, or Rust.
- Experience with at least one configuration management system like Chef, Ansible and/or Puppet.
- Deep understanding of Linux administration & internals
- Strong opinions, weakly held
Technologies we use:
- Go, Perl, Libvirt, Virtio, KVM, Open vSwitch, gRPC, MySQL, Chef, Git
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge & Palo Alto, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!