A new kind of storage company, MakeSpace is taking the struggle out of storageand reinventing an antiquated industry in the process. Weve designed a hassle-free experience that allows people to store & retrieve their belongings on-demand, so they can skip the whole schlep-to-a-storage-unit thing. We pick up your stuff, haul it to storage, & deliver it back when you need it. Simple as that.
To support this seamless experience, we built the industrys first fully integrated system, from back-end routing to warehouse logistics, & a consumer app complete with a digital photo inventory of stored items. Our superior operations, tech, & talent enable us to be infinitely more convenient, affordable, & user-friendly than traditional self-storage. In just over 6 years, weve become a top-5 consumer-rated storage company in NYC, & expanded to 24 major cities in North America.
Join us as we disrupt a $38 billion industry, & change the way people think about storage (and the stuff they store).
As a staff engineer youll be creating & designing our core products, mentor our engineers & help setup the next iteration of our technical vision. At MakeSpace, a staff engineer will be at the nucleus of our engineering teams & work across teams & products. You help make the tradeoffs between our current products & our future vision. As a contributing IC, youll work with other engineers, product & test engineers to solve product challenges which includes our move to (micro) services.
You can expect to:
- Write, test, document & deploy high quality code, including work on stand-alone services, including microservices, as we develop the next generation of our codebase & products.
- Evolve our platform via architectural, design & code reviews.
- Steer & lead our design reviews, architectural & infrastructure choices.
- Help teams in thinking about design, patterns, frameworks in helping to meet quarterly objectives or cross team projects.
- Collaborate on the technical vision for future products.
- Develop your leadership skills by mentoring engineers, pairing & leading workshops.
- Drive technical decisions on agile, cross-functional teams including marketing, product management & engineering.
- Experiment on new technologies with an open mind.
- Lead architecture decisions at a multi-system level.
- You either have a bachelors degree or professional software engineering experience.
- You have worked as a tech lead or senior engineer for several companies, including work related to building service oriented architecture & CI/CD.
- Youve experience in two or more of the following - Site Reliability & DevOps, Backend engineering & API definition, Data Engineering, Microservices, Web Engineering
- You have experience with one of, preferably both, migrating to a Service-oriented architecture from a monolith & with event-based or distributed architectures.
- You continually learn & strive towards being the best software engineer you can be.
- You have a record of mentorship. Experience instilling technical excellence across teams.
- With unwavering attention to detail, you write clean, pragmatic, & reusable code.
- You have a willingness to learn, teach & step outside of your comfort zone.
- Nice to haves: Experience with logistics or warehouse management systems, continuous deployment, or microservices
- A competitive base salary
- Generous & flexible PTO (we believe in our team having a great life outside of work)
- Competitive parental leave policy
- Multiple health care options with premium plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts & Commuter benefits
- Weekly Catered lunch, unlimited snacks, beer, cold brew on tap, etc.
- Team happy hours, events, & social clubs
- Free MakeSpace storage so you can take back your space
- Beautiful office in Lower Manhattan with large outdoor spaces for lunch, work, & play :)
MakeSpace culture is built on collaboration & innovation. Theres tons of room to grow & opportunities to take initiative. You will partner with sharp, motivated teammates looking to disrupt a massive industryand have fun while doing it.
If this sounds like you, then let us knowand join a tech company that makes a concrete impact on the physical world every day!
We are an equal opportunity employer & value a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds at our company. We are dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, or national origin.