Company Description|Job Description
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable & secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, & economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure & reliable payments around the world, & is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, & fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network & scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, & be part of an inclusive & diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators & risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, & doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy & digital commerce to millions of unbanked & underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Visa is in search of the world's most creative & experienced engineering leaders. We embrace entrepreneurs as well as those who come from more established organizations.
Software Engineering Managers are clearly characterized by progressive technical experience & demonstrated progression in management responsibility. They have also kept their coding skills sharp & bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment. We're looking for such a manager for a newly created software engineering team which will be part of a new team within Visa's Data Product Development.
We looking for a Senior Director for this team to shape & push forward this vision, while focusing on the development of a state-of-the-artrisk scoring, analytics & intelligence products, to serve the various networks.
Our development teams are tackling some of the most interesting problems in the blockchain space while rapidly & securely scaling a distributed platform that touches millions of people a day.
The primary responsibilities of the Senior Director are to provide hands-on technical leadership, guidance & mentoring to the engineering team, be a close collaborator & trusted advisor to the VP of Engineering, & ensure the delivery of high-quality, robust, & scalable solutions. This person will be a thought-leader, with real-world business common sense, & the ability to collaborate across functions.
The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of Software Engineering, experience with Big Data & analytics, building currency agnostic real-time systems; exceptional communication & negotiation skills, & extensive experience guiding software & quality engineers in the implementation of production quality solutions. Ultimately, they will be able to do whatever is required to make ourengineering team a success.
- Be a hands-on, technical engineering manager. The expectation is that you will be
- leading by doing.
- Communicate architectural issues & concepts to multiple organization levels & executive management
- Help recruit world-class engineers (front end, backend & quality) in Foster City
- Help identify, define & execute valuable engineering projects within Visa for Blockchain efforts.
- Work with Engineering leaders & others to ensure that your team delivers the maximum possible impact.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day work of your team members.
- Create an environment in which engineers can grow & do their best work.
- Work on the most interesting & challenging problems in the cryptocurrency space.
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor's Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- 12+ years of Technology experience including, 3+ years of engineering management experience in a big data environment, 5+ years of software engineering work experience, including hands-on technical management, & 5+ years coding in one of the following languages: Java, C, C++, Go, Scala, Python or Rust
- Experience with operating system internals, filesystems, programming language design, compilers
- Experience with Big data technologies including: Hadoop, Hive, Apache Spark, Apache Flink, Apache Kafka Parquet, ORC; Avro, & Presto, Apache Drill
- Experience with NoSQL datastores including Cassandra, Yugabyte, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB
- Experience with In-memory databases including Redis, Aerospike, RocksDB
- Experience with AI: Machine Learning and/or Deep Learning
- Experience with Information Security
- Experience working with geographically-distributed technology teams
The incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
The position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit & stand at a desk, communicate in person & by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones & computers, reach with hands & arms, & bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines & applicable local law.