Company Description|Job Description
Fascinated by the future & captivated by technology?
Smart, driven & want to make a difference in the world?
You'll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable & secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses & economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand & our global team - we're proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives & experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it's taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects & encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone.In addition, we offer market leading salary & have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you're not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as a Software Engineer, we want to hear from you - together, let's make Visa a great place to work.
What's it all about?
A position has become available for a full time Software Engineer in the Applications Support team within Visa's Technology division based in Reading, with some travel to offices in Basingstoke & Paddington.This team is responsible for provision of 2nd/3rd level technical application support for a range of Unix-based systems.These systems are mainly Web & API applications developed in a variety of open source technologies - Core Java, Angular, Node JS, Tomcat, MySQL, DB2, Oracle & NoSQL. This position will provide 2nd & 3rd level incident/problem diagnosis & resolution. Typically, the issues escalated to the team are complex & span across technologies, networks & hardware. The jobholder therefore requires a broad & high degree of technical knowledge across multiple platforms & technologies. The jobholder will be placed in a position which will affect application & platform decisions, taking ownership on how our supported services are managed, & provide a 24 x 7 hour technical call-out facility.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- The jobholder is expected to be a SME in at least one of the web technologies such as Angular, one object oriented languages such as Java, C++ or C# & have excellent business knowledge of the payment industry.
- Responsible for supporting & ensuring the stability of the applications.
- Change, Incident & Problem management according to Visa guidelines.
- Participate in change planning, deployment & review.
- Perform proactive maintenance activities, engage in automation activities, & perform root cause analysis & remediation.
- Write & maintain scripts to monitor system functionality & performance.
- Monitor incident queues, troubleshoot issues & lead conference calls with other groups to mitigate impacts.
- Apply code & operation break fixes & other proactive maintenance activities
- Will evaluate the issues reported by Visa clients in order to provide ongoing solutions.
- Participate in on call rotation as assigned by manager.
- Facilitate & attend meetings for Business & Information Technology initiatives.
- Write & maintain programs & scripts to achieve Information Technology objectives.
- Provide 24/7 support as needed & work with offshore teams to facilitate around the clock support for applications & services.
What we're after
- Solid working experience in an application support function working in 24*7 environment, driving high availability on active/active environments
- Have some experience as a developer.
- Proficient in code review & code level debugging.
- Excellent knowledge in coding with best practices.
- Experience in supporting Java applications that run in Apache Tomcat, JWS, or similar containers.
- Excellent analytical & problem solving skills with a strong automation/monitoring mind-set
- Experience using change, incident & problem management systems such as Remedy, Service Now or equivalent.
- Experience planning, deploying & reviewing changes for critical applications. Experience with Jenkins is a plus.
- Experience troubleshooting & resolving incidents.
- Experience conducting root cause analysis.
- Experience with UNIX/Linux operating system & fluency in shell scripting.
- Experience with relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server or equivalent.
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively with technical & non-technical stakeholders
Essential technical skills required:
- Unix operating system commands (to a high level)
- Unix shell scripting (KSH or BASH, awk/sed, perl)
- 2nd/3rd level application support experience
Desirable technical skills required:
- Experience with one of the NoSQL technologies such as Mongo DB
- Working experience on Hadoop, Hive, Sparke, Kafka or Hbase
- Working experience working on Splunk tool to create reports & dashboard.
- Knowledge of networking concepts & protocols such as DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP, PKI, SSL, TLS, Digital Certificates, Security Scanning or equivalent
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge & inspire you - we'd love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it's the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture & background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay & actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds & perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work & a better business partner to our clients.