Are you passionate about producing crazy good documentation, making sophisticated product capabilities easy to understand & use? Are you incredibly organized & love helping your team plan, create, deliver & improve content? Do you seek to make an impact on both people & product? At Appian, Managers of Technical Writing (Information Development) provide not only hands on technical leadership, but also create situations to ignite the professional growth & success of individuals on their teams. As a hands-on writer, you will help us deliver world-class documentation using modern technologies in a fast-paced software engineering department. As a manager, you will provide direct 1-on-1 mentoring, coaching, & career development to a group of brilliant information developers. What is Appian? Its a low-code application platform that lets business people build powerful enterprise web & mobile apps with flexible, visual models instead of clunky custom code.
- You like to play with the technology you write about, & have a strong or varied technical background
- You are able to provide rationale for the content decisions you make, & are able to articulate them for the benefit of others
- You have strong interpersonal skills, & enjoy working with other, passionate writers
- You are always looking for ways to improve yourself & the people & processes you interact with
- You care about fostering a culture of learning, growth, & career development for writers
- You are currently a hands-on writer, & are comfortable remaining hands-on up to 50% of the time
- Effectively manage, develop, & guide up to 3 direct reports through mentoring & coaching
- Owns the documentation roadmap & prioritized backlog for one or more significant areas of the documentation
- Produce high-quality documentation that supports our users & our product strategy
- Ensure fulfillment of our content strategy through articulate reviews, examples, & guided revision
- Look for opportunities to explore & experiment with novel documentation technologies, processes, & styles
- Collaborate with product managers to determine the best strategy for documenting new & innovative product features
Preferred Experience Level: 7+ years of writing & delivering compelling, technical documentation for complex software, with 3+ years in a senior role, with demonstrated leadership or mentoring experience.
Education: B.A. or B.S. degree in Professional & Technical Writing (or related field/degree)
Appian Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, Appian will not discriminate against applicants for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their coworker, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination.