WHO ARE WE?
The Super Chewer Design team is responsible for all toys & treats for dogs that looooove to chew. We're a diverse group of creatives coming from all sorts of backgrounds. We pride ourselves on being funny & innovative in order for us to create magical experiences for dogs & their people. We don't take ourselves too seriously, & love finding inspiration in unexpected places.
WHO WERE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for a talented designer who can help innovate in the industry & bring a unique perspective, executed through strong technical skills & shown through good aesthetics. This position will work on a summer brief that will lead to a portfolio-ready project & will also support toy development across our collections with design concepts & execution. The ideal person is passionate about toys & play, & eager to learn how to bring ideas to the market in a smart & impactful way. Oh, & you must love dogs. Like LOVE dogs!
- Work closely with the Super Chewer design team gaining exposure to the development process for the Super Chewer monthly box subscription.
- Participate in brainstorms, contribute concept sketches, & construct technical design documents.
- Communicate with factories to help develop a design for mass production.
- Conduct self-directed research on trends, materials & manufacturing processes within the pet industry & market to support current development.
- Develop a summer project based on a toy category of choice (e.g. Water Toys, Elderly Dog Toys, etc.) to be presented & portfolio ready by the end of time in the program.
- Utilize internal resources & time management skills to independently manage projects to meet deadlines.
- Build confidence & knowledge when interacting with internal / external partners & presenting design solutions.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be a Junior, Senior or (graduating Senior) studying or with a degree in Industrial Design, Toy Design, or related field
- Must have a design portfolio of relevant work to be considered for the program (Toy designs not necessary but a plus).
- Sketching, Illustration, basic understanding & beginner experience with 3D modeling (Fusion 360 or Solidworks) are a plus.
- A passion for toy design & toys.
- Ability to share their ideas in a concise manner & general communication skills
- Adobe knowledge (mostly: photoshop & illustrator).
- Must like being part of a team & are happy & willing to work in a collaborative environment.
- Past design internship experience is a plus.
- Have we mentioned you gotta love dogs?
This summer internship position is a part-time position. It is fully remote with the opportunity to visit the NY office & get a chance to present your summer project & meet the team & their dogs!
*We continue to follow the CDCs definition of fully vaccinated & require proof of vaccination to enter the BARK office.
Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to the dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.