As the Director of Data Science, you will lead a team working on both internal tools that help our teams make more optimal, timely decisions, & services that power consumer-facing experiences which improve the more they are used by visitors across our sites & apps. You will report to BuzzFeeds VP of Data Science & Analytics, & manage a team of 5-10 data scientists. You will be deeply involved in shaping BuzzFeeds applied ML roadmap & work closely with engineering leadership to identify opportunities to continue to develop our ML infrastructure.
BuzzFeeds data science team works on a range of problems across the product & business units. The team puts together reusable building blocks that power our range of classifiers, ranking & recommender systems, & unlock new insights opportunities. They work in close partnership with our product, analytics & data platform teams. Over the past year weve made immense improvements to our data platform, which open up a range of new & impactful opportunities for our teams. This job will be based out of our NYC office, but we are remote as an organization until Summer 2021 due to COVID, & will continue to support remote work for select locations.
- Manage the health, staffing, & effectiveness of the data science team
- Establish both short & long-term strategic roadmaps for personalization & content recommender systems at BuzzFeed
- Provide technical leadership & career mentorship to data scientists
- Work with data leadership to identify high-leverage opportunities
- Collaborate with engineering leadership on further developing our Machine Learning infrastructure projects & roadmap
- Work with other leaders to proactively drive organizational improvement such as career ladders, culture, workflow, & reviews
- Motivate team by championing a culture of data informed services & metric-driven decision making
- Grow the organization through recruitment & outreach
- You are empathetic, curious & pragmatic
- You have compassion & experience supporting, mentoring, & helping people achieve their career goals
- You are resourceful & adaptable
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, & simplicity
- You work collaboratively to deliver products & services
- You have experience managing & mentoring a team of data scientists, & a strong point of view about the role of data science in a tech organization
- You have good grasp of statistics, Python, SQL, & Machine Learning techniques
- Demonstrated experience with commercial recommender and/or content ranking systems is a plus
- Graduate degree in CS, Statistics, or data-related program is preferred
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
- A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy & indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.