Founded in 1999 SurveyMonkey is the worlds leading platform for turning peoples voices & opinions into actionable data People Powered Data. Our European headquarters are based in Dublin, Ireland & we also have offices in several other parts of Europe to include in Amsterdam. SurveyMonkey helps curious individuals & companies including 98% of the Fortune 500 have conversations at scale with the people who matter most. Its People Powered Data that allows them to understand not only what is happening, but why. SurveyMonkeys 1300+ employees throughout North America, Europe, & Asia Pacific are dedicated to powering the curious.
We are an agile & diverse legal team, dedicated to developing highly-talented, passionate people who share our interest in working on engaging legal issues & applying a pragmatic, creative, & thoughtful approach to provide timely & usable legal guidance to our business team. As data platform business, we often operate on the leading edge of the legal sphere, where the law struggles to keep up with technology & the rules get fuzzy. This makes our work very interesting. So if this sounds like something youd be passionate about & you have a burning desire to work in a friendly, hands-on environment with terrific people, wed love to have you on board.
We are looking for a Privacy & Product Counsel to support our global product, sales & marketing teams in developing & shipping our products & while also maturing the collaborations between our privacy & product teams through DPIAs. You will be part of a collaborative legal team & engaged in advising on a wide variety of product, policy & business issues & with aiding the business to navigate GDPR & e-Privacy compliance matters as they relate to those areas. You will apply sound legal & business judgment to provide strategic & pragmatic advice to the business.
This role is a full-time position & is based in our Dublin or Amsterdam office.
- Advise cross-functional teams globally on privacy issues & risks & internal policies & procedures from the initial stages of product development & beyond launch.
- Regularly partner with product & engineering teams as well as product counsel colleagues to conduct DPIAs where necessary.
- Work with the Data Protection Manager, the DPO, Head of Privacy & Data Protection Governance teams to build out & mature data protection practices & procedures.
- Draft clear & concise in-product notices, disclaimers, privacy notices, & other public facing documents for our customers.
- Ensure compliance with European laws & regulations relating to privacy, ePrivacy, security, consumer protection, & regulatory compliance.
- Review marketing initiatives & campaigns spanning various advertising platforms, including print media, email marketing, & digital, social media, & behavioral advertising.
- Design, build, & improve training programs & legal department processes with a focus on scaling.
- Build strong relationships with & support other members of the legal team as needed.
- 6+ years relevant experience (including at least 3+ years in-house experience) primarily advising technology companies; relevant technical background or high level of comfort with technology preferred.
- In-depth experience with product counseling especially in the areas of data protection (GDPR)) & security & under other regulatory frameworks (e.g.,consumer protection laws, etc.).
- Working knowledge of ePrivacy, advertising laws & regulations.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects & competing priorities under deadline pressure.
- Highly motivated self-starter with demonstrated growth mindset & passion for learning.
- Track record of collaborating & building strong client relationships in a cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to break down & explain complex legal concepts to internal clients in a practical, understandable way that balances legal risks & business objectives.
- Outstanding written & verbal communication skills with an eye for detail.
- Flexibility, initiative, & willingness to perform some routine tasks.
- Qualified to practice law in Ireland or the Netherlands (or equivalent qualifications in another European country)
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, paid holidays & parental leave, & equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity & are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.