Summer Intern: UX Research & Design Intern
Reports to: Senior Product Designer
Overview: DoSomething.org is constantly looking to improve our core product & value proposition to better meet our user needs. Through user research, help us identify user confusion & frustration with our current offering & validate concepts to effectively address these problems.
For more information on our internship program including dates & compensation, visit our internships page.
What youll do:
- Oversee recruitment
- Support the recruiting process by sourcing, scheduling interviews, & hosting young people onsite for research studies
- Maintain an applicant tracking system to keep participants moving quickly through the pipeline
- Help establish user panels to increase recruiting efficiency
- Conduct usability research
- Create user-testing discussion guides based on the step by step experience you want users to walk through & the questions youll ask at each step.
- Conduct studies around how users experience our current & future product offerings, including but not limited to usability testing, user personas, surveys, etc.
- Summarize & Champion Findings
- Conduct oral, written & visual presentations about research findings to team members & stakeholders
- Advocate for the user in product design reviews based on your research.
- UX Design
- Sketch solutions based on user-research findings
- Create low-fidelity wireframes of design options
What youll learn:
- How a civic-tech organization operates.
- The basic mechanics & execution for running a research study
- Tangible ways user research informs product design.
What were looking for:
- A people person! Youll be on the front lines analyzing issues that our members face & we want somebody who embodies the DoSomething spirit.
- Impeccable organizational skills & attention to detail.
- Background in product design or a social science (e.g., psychology, sociology, behavioral economics), or a related field.
- Curiosity. How does our product ecosystem & the underlying technology work? What assumptions is DoSomething.org making in its product design? Why have we made certain decisions in the past? Challenge us on our decisions & assumptions!
- Passion. For science. For delivering a delightful experience. And most importantly for social change.
Nice to haves:
- Experience conducting user research & testing, running social science experiments, or conducting interviews or observations.
- Great customer service skills & a confidence cold calling users.
Instead of a cover letter, please submit answers to the following questions:
Imagine youre conducting a usability test, asking a participant to find, sign up for, & verify their action on a DoSomething.org campaign.
- What are 3 attributes you would look for when recruiting participants & why?
- What three questions would you ask that participant in the interview about their experience?
- What insights are you looking for in the users answers?
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org & DoSomething Strategic (we, us) are committed to protecting & respecting your privacy. This policy explains when & why we collect personal information on candidates, & how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people & social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online & offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How & why we collect data from you.
- We collect & retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, & any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, & other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking & gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be recycled for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHRs systems in accordance with JazzHRs Terms of Service.