Away is looking for a Manager, Packaging Development to join our supply chain/operation team.You will be responsible for ensuring that all packaging is of a quality, design & utility to create an exceptional experience for our customers when they receive their Away product. This role will be responsible for ensuring that all packaging meets design specifications, passes the designed testing plans, & meets cost objectives.
This position is based out of our headquarters in Soho & reports to the Sr. Director on the Sourcing & Quality team.
What you'll do:
- Oversee process of defining packaging requirements & translating creative & marketing recommendations into realistic packaging specifications.
- Provide a comprehensive overview of each package project that defines function, manufacturability, costs, preliminary development lead time & design parameters.
- Ensure construction & design of all packaging achieves design, function & quality criteria within cost & time objectives.
- Validate that all technical drawings & package specifications identify all aspects required to define a package to the manufacturer.
- Develop a network of domestic & international suppliers & manage interactions with these suppliers.
- Implement package tests to ensure all specifications are met.
- Drive innovation by exploring new packaging concepts, technologies & materials to support new Design & Product Development ideas.
- Set up continuous improvement programs, including: quality, sustainability, cost to manufacture & optimized size to ship.
Who you are:
- 5 years of experience in packaging development with bachelor degree in Packaging Engineering or related technical discipline.
- Experience in consumer products or related industry with development experience in packaging. Preferably developing packaging for e-commerce / online delivery.
- Experienced with international packaging suppliers will be a plus.
- Possess a broad knowledge of packaging materials (including but not limited to paper, corrugated, sustainable materials, plastics etc.), structures for consumer products & methods for construction.
- Superior problem solving skills with a proven ability to be an extremely flexible team member that can meet deadlines & excel in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Excellent at working with cross-functional teams with competing priorities. Particularly Creative, Operations & Product Development.
- Excellent communication skills, to be able to deal effectively with all levels of the organization & suppliers.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage the documentation, materials, samples & information.
- Team player with a no task is too small attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!)
- You can show proof of COVID-19 vaccination & adherence to HQ COVID office policies using Bindle, a secure platform that verifies vaccination status without sharing private health information, within 30 days of hire.