Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni & counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. Our clients include everyone from many of the Fortune 500 companies, to government agencies, to small- & medium-sized businesses. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly is looking for a customer focused design leader to lead its Product Design team. You will bring a mix of strong leadership experience,Design-Thinking methodologies, design system knowledge, & innovative product insights to help your team focus on the user, & make sure that theyre solving the right problems with the best solutions. Youll balance a rigorous user-centric perspective with the ability to make bold decisions & move the product forward in a fast-paced development environment. You will foster cross-functional collaboration & consistency by working closely with key stakeholders to shape the vision & define the roadmap for our products, integrating user insights into product strategy & design.
What Youll Do:
- Prioritize work, define clear goals, & create a culture of continuous learning through sharpening skill-sets & elevating work with insightful/actionable feedback.
- Navigate the natural tension between designing for revenue impact & designing for user needs in a holistic environment, & coach your designers on how to do the same.
- Facilitate & promote collaboration with Product Management, Engineering, Brand Design, Copy, Marketing & other cross-functional leaders to push boundaries, influence strategy & quarterly roadmaps, & have a strong impact on product execution & quality.
- Pay close attention to & continually iterate on the teams execution process improving design quality, speed, & collaboration through efficiency & attention to craft.
- Bring strong creative thought leadership to drive initiatives that elevate the user experience.
- Provide clarity & focus for the team, while identifying & unblocking barriers to success.
- Coach & mentor each team member & be responsible for a healthy team culture.
- 6-10 years of relevant experience on a Product Design team or in a similar role.
- 2+ years of experience in a role managing a team of designers.
- Mastery of product design, user interface & interaction design, visual design, storytelling, & prototyping.
- Working knowledge of modern development technologies like HTML & SASS/CSS.
- Demonstrated track record of balancing business objectives with customer problems & steering team strategy.
- Experience facilitating creative workshops, running design projects, & collaborating effectively with engineering managers, product leaders & other key stakeholders.
- Consistent track record of mentoring talented designers to achieve their best performance.
- Experience directing both the visual & interaction design of projects.
- A diverse portfolio that shows creative, user-centered UX solutions, strong visual design & solid information architecture.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Comfort in a fast-paced, highly-dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders.