Basic Books is seeking an Editor to acquire & edit serious nonfiction in a range of fields. The editor will be responsible for acquiring & publishing approximately 8 new hardcover titles per year as well as editing & overseeing book projects for the Publisher.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Soliciting, acquiring, & editing manuscripts for publication.
- Successfully negotiating deals.
- Working effectively with authors & agents in all phases of the publishing process, from acquisition to through publication date & beyond.
- Supervising the production process by acting as the in-house liaison between editorial & the production, design, & managing editorial departments.
- Collaborate with the publicity & marketing teams to package & position books.
- Soliciting & developing 2-4 backlist revisions each year
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent conceptual & line-editing abilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 5 years of publishing experience in editorial acquisitions in nonfiction publishing
- Established contacts in the agent community
- Strong knowledge of contract negotiations
- Excellent written & verbal communication skill
- Ability to multi-task & meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a team setting
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook