Refinery29 is the leading media & entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, & live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration & tools to discover & pursue a more independent, stylish, & informed life. Please visitRefinery29for more information & to browse content. You can also visit ourFrench,German,US, andCanadianeditions.
About the team:
We create all written content for the website, from long-form articles & programs to service & news stories. We're composed of six categories Health + Wellness, Living, Entertainment, News, Work & Money, Fashion, & Beauty & we help shape & guide how Refinery29 & its impact can grow into those spaces, delivering on those promises with fresh content, tools, & discussion every day.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have a deep commitment & passion for the mission of R29 to motivate & inspire women through their own unique power, identity, & infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in womens storytelling & reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform & drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility & solutions in even the most challenging moments, & you have an innate desire to strive for excellence & progress, through your daily work & your attitude.
About the role:
- We are in search of someone with an instinctual knack for cutting through the internet noise to deliver smart, original, & exclusive takes on beauty news including celebrity hair changes, meaningful makeup looks, groundbreaking beauty moments, emerging trends, major sales, & more. We are looking for someone who appreciates & is inspired by beautys ability to go beyond the superficial, understanding how it can be a transformative tool, inspiring confidence & a powerful sense of identity. The ideal candidate is a voracious consumer of beauty news & social media, with an ear to the ground on emerging trends, social media, celebrities & influencers, pop culture, & cultural conversations happening in & around the beauty space. A strong stable of contacts, sensitivity & understanding in covering identity-driven topics, & a unique sense of humor are a must.
What you'll do:
- Pitch & write 2-3 originally reported stories a day that deliver sharp, inspiring, informational, & humorous takes on the most compelling & emerging beauty news
- Have & build networks to secure exclusives & elevate news reporting
- Attend industry events & regularly meet with industry experts to stay on the pulse, discovering big trends & news before they hit the mass market
- Be an enthusiastic member of the team, continuously offering fresh ideas & pitches you wont find at any other publications
- Serve as a positive face for Refinery29 at industry events & functions
What you have:
- 1-3 years of relevant experience reporting & writing beauty content
- Exceptional writing skills, a strong point of view, & sensitivity to identity-driven topics
- A strong understanding of SEO & how to package headlines, photos, & art for audiences across distribution platforms
- A sense of humor & unique voice to cut through the saturated beauty news cycle
- A desire & enthusiasm to find unique, refreshing, & elevated approaches to all news stories from the latest KKW beauty drop to a celebrity beauty controversy.
- While we are a fun & communal work environment, we always expect good judgement, discretion, & professionalism from our team members
- Understanding that sometimes you will need to work weekends & off-hours depending on breaking news, the news cycle for your beat, & industry events
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable & energized working in a fast-paced, high volume operation
- Collaborative & open to feedback in pursuit of constantly pushing content to new heights
- Ready to adapt to an ever-changing environment & industry