Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why & Where
Twilio is growing rapidly & seeking an Incident Commander. The Incident Commander is the decision-maker during a major incident; Delegating tasks & listening to input from subject matter experts in order to bring the incident to resolution. They become the highest-ranking individual on any major incident call, regardless of their day-to-day rank. Their decisions made as commander are final.
Twilio is looking for an Incident Commander to lead all high priority incidents, in order to provide clear coordination, recruiting others to gather context/details. You will be delegating tasks across business units, roles & all levels of the company. You are always considering next steps & backup plans at every opportunity, in an effort to avoid getting stuck without any clear options to proceed & to keep things moving towards resolution
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills. Can communicate appropriately with customers at both technical and C Levels.
- Has high-level knowledge of how the different Twilio services interact with each other
- Ability to size-up a situation, assess the effectiveness of various tactics/strategies, & make rapid decisions on appropriate courses of action
- Has flexibility, & is able to listen to expert feedback, modifying plans on-the-fly as necessary
- Has been involved in multiple high-severity, high priority incident responses, either as a spectator or as an active participant
- Understands how to use The 5 Whys to ask questions that get to the real root of the problem
- Has certification(s) in Incident Management (CEIM), Security Incident Management (CSIRT), program management/project management, Six Sigma, Scrum, or similar
- Has gravitas, takes command, & is willing to kick people off a call to remove distractions, even if it's the CEO
As an incident commander you will live the Twilio Magic:
- BE AN OWNER: Orchestrate all incident management responses for high priority incidents. Own the incident record, ensuring the accuracy of data across teams, products, timelines, root cause, severity, & customer impact
- DONT SETTLE: Ensure all necessary teams are actively engaged in the impact assessment, triage, & remediation of incidents
- WRITE IT DOWN: Ensure timely & relevant communications & escalations are delivered to stakeholders within SLA
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Lead all high severity incident post mortems & betterment identification, tracking, & delivery to help make all teams better.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMERS SHOES: Ensure high-quality RFOs are delivered to customers within SLA. Manage significant customer escalations that do not rise to the level of a widespread outage.
- DRAW THE OWL: Diagnose & resolve process issues with customer escalations that impede responsiveness
Building & retaining customer trust is our number 1 priority at Twilio. At no time is that trust more tested than when customers experience an outage (an incident in our terminology). Equally there is no greater opportunity to solidify customer trust when we respond appropriately to these situations. Incident command plays a pivotal role in managing incidents to preserve & build customer trust & therefore is a role crucial to us realizing our mission at Twilio.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems & creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Denver. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands & more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do & be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status & operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.